Phase a matic inverter

Cyahr

Registered
Registered
I got a Bridgeport mill that needs 3 phase power. I only have 1 phase so I got a phase a matic inverter. I got it wired up and it just clicks and hums. After some troubleshooting I’ve come to the conclusion that there is a bad part in the inverter itself. Problem is I have no idea what this part is called to get a new one. Anyone have any ideas?
It has 3 wires connected to it.

Attachments

• 08EB16CF-2FA6-4E1A-AD5C-D48263F08403.jpeg
    08EB16CF-2FA6-4E1A-AD5C-D48263F08403.jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 35
Have you contacted the supplier for assistance?

It's hard to tell anything form the picture, can you show how it's hooked up to the power and the machine?

Here's a copy of the instructions if you don't have:

Attachments

• Phase-A-Matic Instructions.pdf
    562.4 KB · Views: 11
The part circled is a potential relay

I think you have something out of order due to clicking and humming

Is there any info printed on the circled part?- (it looks suspiciously like a capacitor to me)
What leads you to think that part is bad?
-Mark
Static phase converters are fairly simple devices, they are essentially just a large phase shift capacitor to generate the 3rd leg and a relay circuit to cut the capacitor out of the circuit when the motor starts. They are not inverters or vfds. Different animal.

Last edited:
I have a static phase converter on my 2 HP Bridgeport. My static will buzz if it's left ON, and I shut off the BP with the FWD/OFF/REV switch. My BP came with the phase converter already installed. The previous owner wired a DPDT toggle switch on the converter. I leave the BP FWD/OFF/REV switch in FWD or REV all of the time and start/stop the mill by switching power ON/OFF at the phase converter.

You might try shutting off the breaker to your phase converter (if it's wired hot). Then turn your machine switch to "FWD". Then flip the phase converter breaker on. If that works, you'll need to go with a DPDT switch at your machine to switch the phase converter ON/OFF to turn the mill on and off.

I'm used to the power being on the RH side but it took a while. If I'm power tapping, I flip the switch on the phase converter to OFF when at depth, flip the state of the BP's switch, then power the converter back ON to reverse the tap.

Bruce

BP.jpg

Regarding the "black box" circled, one wire is attached to the output, the other is bare. It looks like it is connected to the base of the relay. If it was part of the relay, there would be a mechaincal connection as well. Since there is a resistor also, my first guess is that it is a time delay or flashback arrestor for the coil of the relay. The relay is otherwise self contained. When it is powered on or off, a click will be heard, one(1) time. If repeated clicking is heard, it is indicative of a problem.

The motor capacitor is the large, black, circular device in the upper left of the photo. I honestly am not familiar enough with the brand to say for sure. But know that I am NOT very impressed with the workmanship of the device. It has the appearance of some jack leg "am damateur" construction from a magazine article. As a real elecrrician, I would have to say that if you paid more than the cost of a soda (or beer) then you paid too much.

Back