Phase converter problem

2Tite

Registered
Registered
I don't much about electricity so be easy with me.....I have a homemade phase converter which uses a 220 volt induction motor as an idling transformer. It was working great until a day or so ago. The problem is that when turned on the motor doesn't reach it's peak speed. It turns slowly and hums and soon after trips the circuit breaker. Occasionally it works properly but not often. It seems that about as often it will hum and not turn at all. At this point I'm afraid I'll damage something if I try to use it at all. Any ideas? Those that know....please comment any help at all would be appreciated.

This is an educated guess on my part. I suspect that one or more of the capacitors may have failed. You might disconnect the power to the RPC and open up the electrical box on it and see if there is any visible physical damage to the capacitors. Another possibility is that the start relay has a burned contact. Did I mention disconnecting the power before you open up the box?

If possible, a wiring diagram or pictures would be helpful here.

Your educated guess seems to be right on the money. One of three capacitors seems to have both contacts failed. I have a follow up question.....the three capacitors are of two different types. They do have similar voltage ranges. In regards to a replacement....I assume that as long as the replacement has the same voltage range I'd be OK.....Is that correct? thank you for helping!

Your educated guess seems to be right on the money. One of three capacitors seems to have both contacts failed. I have a follow up question.....the three capacitors are of two different types. They do have similar voltage ranges. In regards to a replacement....I assume that as long as the replacement has the same voltage range I'd be OK.....Is that correct? thank you for helping!

Always happy to help. Sometimes I get lucky. Try to replace with the same voltage (or higher) and match the capacity (MF or MFD) The single capacitor is probably the start capacitor, and the 2 others are run capacitors. There are a lot of different ways that these things are wired, so you never know for sure.

Back