Phase Monitoring Devices who has used these? What do you think?

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
Hello All!

I am in the process of firing up the power to my little home shop.

I currently have a RONK, ROTO-CON / MarkII, Model No. 92, Type 2P, phase converter. This item came with the large band saw I purchases over a year ago. When powered by 220VAC, this unit produces 10 amps 3 phase. The tag reads:

KVA Max 4 Volts 240/480
Type 2P/4P Model 92 Hz 60
FLA 10 20/10 Largest Motor 2 Hp
Min KVA 0.5 Base 30 AMPS 10/5
Serial No 419951 Frame 182

The manufacturer told me on the phone to not worry with using a motor starter with heaters, just add a 2 pole switch and fire it up.

I want to ensure things are safe, and maybe I am going over board. But I want some type of protection on the motor to prevent mishaps.

While looking at options, I found this web site: icmcontrols.com. They have a section under phase monitoring and control.

What are your thoughts to using a device like this, rather than the old tried and true, fused heaters?

Looking over the manual, depending on the model, this ties to a contactor and if voltage falls outside of the range set, the relay fires and opens the contactor. Found pricing on Amazon and would be much cheaper option compared to a starter.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Thank you!

Tom
toolman_ar

These devices protect against loss of a phase by the power company. You don't need that. They don't protect against overloads. Get a proper motor starter with heaters (no need for fuses if your breaker is sized correctly).

As John said you don't need the 3phase monitor, those are for commercial 3 phase equipment so if a leg drops you don't run just on 2 phases and burn up a motor or compressor. Just make sure all your connection are good and tight, your phase convertor on it primary side should be circuit protected.

The ICM491 is for single phase and states:

Single-phase line voltage monitor with ASC protection; protects against hi/lo voltage and rapid system recycling; 95-270 VAC.

So that is for in rush and would not work as protection for the motor on the phase converter?

toolman_ar

The ICM491 is for single phase and states:

Single-phase line voltage monitor with ASC protection; protects against hi/lo voltage and rapid system recycling; 95-270 VAC.

So that is for in rush and would not work as protection for the motor on the phase converter?

toolman_ar

It's for protecting unattended motors against the power company going wonky. You don't need it. You'll shut off your machine if you get a brownout or the lights start flickering.

John,

Thank you for your help!

When I called the local electric supply house for a starter, they want to know the Horse Power for the device.

Looking at the 10 amp rating if fed by 240v, I guess this puts me at 3/4 hp?

Schnyder (square D) shows a Class 2510 starter, type???

Can you make a recommendation?

toolman_ar

John,

Thank you for your help!

When I called the local electric supply house for a starter, they want to know the Horse Power for the device.

Looking at the 10 amp rating if fed by 240v, I guess this puts me at 3/4 hp?

Schnyder (square D) shows a Class 2510 starter, type???

Can you make a recommendation?

toolman_ar

Are you talking about the motor you are going to run, or the rotary converter? For the latter follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

The rotary:

KVA Max 4 Volts 240/480
Type 2P/4P Model 92 Hz 60
FLA 10 20/10 Largest Motor 2 Hp
Min KVA 0.5 Base 30 AMPS 10/5
Serial No 419951 Frame 182

i found a 2510 FG2P, square D, I think this will work with the proper heaters.

toolman_ar

Last edited:
The starter you described is a manual starter with 2 contacts & shouldn't be used with a 3-phase motor & supply because when it's turned off the motor windings would remain hot from the one phase that's still connected. I recommended using a 3-pole magnetic starter wired with pushbuttons & a holding contact which provide voltage loss protection. This means that, if power is interrupted, the starter will return to it's normal, de-energized state & stay that way when the power is restored which which prevents unexpected motion. Magnetic starters are sized by motor hp or full load current or amps [FLA]; for sizing at 240V, 3-phase, the smallest & cheapest starter is a NEMA size 00 which will operate up to 1.5 hp; a size 0, 3 hp & size 1, 7.5 hp. Overload heaters are rated by the motor's rated FLA at the supply voltage & is marked on the nameplate. Hope this helps.

Dave,
The item I am asking about is the phase converter. It is powered by 220 single phase.

Back