Picking up an old arbor press

I found mine for so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Its an import, but works perfect. And the point is it's amazing I went all these years without one. I use it way more than I ever thought I would. It's a 3ton Jet. It came with the rotary plate which I use all the time, just wish it had a ratchet.

same here, though I ended up making about $750 off the other stuff I bought at the same time so it ended up costing me -$700 :) I use it alot - faster than the hydraulic press and I break waaaaay less stuff now!

I break waaaaay less stuff now!

That is for sure! No more beating beating on stuff and no more cocked press fits etc etc. In the process of all this and looking at all the different presses. I think I'm going to mod mine with one of those wheels that look like an old boat steering wheel so I don't have to deal with a ratchet!

And now the pictures - frankly I feel a little silly posting pictures of a common arbor press, but people asked.
This one like the Goldilocks tale - it is just right.

Attachments

• IMG_3383.JPG
    IMG_3383.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3382.JPG
    IMG_3382.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3381.JPG
    IMG_3381.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 25
And this is the one that I left behind.
After doing more research as a result of the feedback in this thread, I almost convinced myself to try to find a #3 Greenerd, but ultimately decided against it because of cost, transport difficulty (for me) and shop space.

When I arrived to look at / pick up the #2 I found, the guy says "Oh the arbor press, you want the big one or the little one?" to which I say, "The big one??!!"

So he takes me to the big one and as soon as I see it, I realize it's a #3 on a stand! The second thing I see is that the casting is missing a big chunk and physical examination proves that while functional, the press-shaft is now quite wobbly.

The chunk of missing casting and bent handle leads me to believe that this one was abused. Ultimately, I decided not to change horses. I don't know a lot about repairing castings but this one just looks like it would be more effort and I'd end up with an arbor press with a compromised head.
Sigh.
I could go back and get it. It would probbaly work well enough for my use.

And this is the one that I left behind.
After doing more research as a result of the feedback in this thread, I almost convinced myself to try to find a #3 Greenerd, but ultimately decided against it because of cost, transport difficulty (for me) and shop space.

When I arrived to look at / pick up the #2 I found, the guy says "Oh the arbor press, you want the big one or the little one?" to which I say, "The big one??!!"

So he takes me to the big one and as soon as I see it, I realize it's a #3 on a stand! The second thing I see is that the casting is missing a big chunk and physical examination proves that while functional, the press-shaft is now quite wobbly.

The chunk of missing casting and bent handle leads me to believe that this one was abused. Ultimately, I decided not to change horses. I don't know a lot about repairing castings but this one just looks like it would be more effort and I'd end up with an arbor press with a compromised head.
Sigh.
I could go back and get it. It would probbaly work well enough for my use.
View attachment 292145
View attachment 292146
WOW! Now that is the poster child for what an abused arbor press looks like! I love the base its on and if you could get it cheap it might be worth trying to fabricate a new head for it. I'm surprised there is no adjustment for wear on the head, but I guess it would be hard with a round shaft. My old Jet has adjustable gibs on the front and side of the head and square shaft. They must have had a HUGE cheater bar on that poor thing. Sad to see such a nice piece abused, I guess that's why their called tools and not art.

Notice how the top of the ram is mushroomed. I'd give that one a pass, though I'm curious about how much they
want for it. I'd say about $1.50 per pound. :) What a shame.

To me the mushroom can be fixed by grinding. But the split casting is DOA to me. It means the press won't work right because the gears won't mesh right and I'll bet it would bind if you put any torque to it. Pretty close to scrap IMHO. But man do I like that base.

Sure, it could be ground, but it's evidence of major abuse. Notice the gap between the ram and the casting at the top?
That press is junk, though you're right, the stand looks nice.

Of course I agree. It would be interesting to see what kind of shape the gear and ram are in with that kind of abuse. I would think it takes years of beating to mushroom that ram.

Last edited:
Back