[4]

Pictures From The Past

• Thread starter Deleted member 18150
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Mike

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I am constantly amazed at what our predecessors did with machinery, and how big the machinery was. Great pics!

T

TOOLMASTER

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
yea you didn't want to get caught up in the chips.

David VanNorman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I've seen some big machines but some of those was larger than I have been close to.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if any of these machines are still in use or even exist anymore. Do we in the U.S.A. still do machining on that scale?

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
A defense contractor I did contract work for in the Minneapolis area had 4 vertical boring/milling mills and one was 52 ft. in dia.. Boy do you feel small standing beside these when they have a gun turret on the table. Mind the chips !!!

brav65

Active User
I have one question, what size indicator do you use on those machines(seriously, what is the accuracy)? As far as current machines in the US I did some work I on a building about 20 years ago that was going to house a mill that would produce fans for large jet engines. The footing for the table went down ove 20 feet into the earth. When they were testing they would pick up vibrations from traffic passing by 100' away. The table was going to be about 25' in diameter. I do not remember the tolerance of the finished machine but is was crazy given the size.

tertiaryjim

Active User
Given the large footings and heavy tonnage of those machines and parts, stability and rigidity would be much greater than the machines most of us run.
This equates to better accuracy and finish.
Hens: Big is Better

Billh50

Active User
I remember seeing a lathe that had a 6' dia. chuck and a 20' bed on it. It had a fold out seat on the saddle for the operator to ride along. That was the largest lathe I have ever seen in person. It was at a place where I went to pick up a bridgeport head back in the mid 70's.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I remember seeing a lathe that had a 6' dia. chuck and a 20' bed on it. It had a fold out seat on the saddle for the operator to ride along. That was the largest lathe I have ever seen in person. It was at a place where I went to pick up a bridgeport head back in the mid 70's.
I ran one like that but bed was I think 60' long, it came from the Philadelphia ship yard. She would peel chips 1" x 1/16 and more all day and night for one cut. They told me it made the prop shafts for the ships in ww11.

markba633csi

Platinum
Registered
I'm thinking of the machines that MAKE the big machines- whoa- where do they hide those? o_O
Also wondering if there are Guiness records for biggest lathes, mills, etc.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I wonder if any of these machines are still in use or even exist anymore. Do we in the U.S.A. still do machining on that scale?
Yes , we do big machining like that today. When I was working as a service engineer for a machine tool manufacturer , I often serviced a new horizontal milling machine with a 120 foot long bed, the column was 22 feet high. The headstock spindle was 12 inches in diameter with a second 7 inch spindle inside it. The reach of the spindle was 7 feet. The tolerances for this machine was .0002"/ft.
Before I retired, they were building a large planer machine, 100 feet long , 40 feet wide and twenty feet high.
So , yes we still make and use very large machines today. These are also CNC machines and they are awesome to run or watch them run.

[5] [7]