Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

I've made a lot of similar lead molds for a buddy that makes bass jigs. The ones I make are small (1/2" to 3/4") and have slots to lay hooks and swivels that get molded into the lead. There are usually 3 or 4 jigs to each mold. I don't have any pictures of the finished products but will try to find a drawing or two from the cad drawings.

Lead casting molds is a large percentage of what I do. I have to say that is a nice basic spinnerbait or buzzbait head. I had to laugh when you said 1/2 to 3/4 was small. I do a lot of stuff in the 1/32 to 1/4 range. Most of my best work in lead casting molds is quite small. Larger stuff is usually brute force.

Nice stuff, Jim!

I was looking at that and thinking that it seemed at least 95% of the Delrin was machined away and it got me thinking - is Delrin recyclable? I've been keeping my aluminum chips (well, the bigger ones) with the idea I'm going to make a forge and make something out of them. Can you melt down Delrin and make a block? Is it even worth the time?

I have no idea. It would be pretty hard to capture the chips, I guess you could clean out the shop vac and just suck them up. You wouldn't want to contaminate the chips with other materials.

Hey Jim,

I am a little confused, if the part ended up hollow, why not just machine a contoured slug out of it rather than machining it all into chips?

You are absolutely right. That would have been the best way and would have cut the machining time down. We thought about that after we had them done. The next batch is going to start out life as rectangular tubing or potting boxes. The inside features are going away also. After the inside is roughed out (about 5 minutes), the inside features take another 40 minutes with a long spindly 3/16 end mill. This assembly is attached to another aluminum mounting plate, so the next iteration will eliminate the heatsink plate and the whole assembly will be incorporated into the mounting plate with standoffs for the circuit board. The whole system was a poor design, but we'll fix that.

Well, shape and engraving are the same on each one. But they all have unique tooling marks, so yes.... LOL

I almost didn't hit POST on that one. I'm glad you took it how I ment it. LOL.

Back