Pin vise set

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
What to get a set of pin vise bit holders for the smaller numbered bits, who/what is good? The only name brand I saw on ebay was Sterrett. 85.00 used 102.00 new. I also would like to get a set of 61-80 bits, do they only come in jobber length? My only use for them is drilling brass air bleeds for a carburetor.

Instead of pin vises, you can get a 0-1/8" drill chuck that will hold the smaller wire drills more accurately than a pin vise. Jacobs and Albrecht make really good ones.

If you prefer pin vises, Starrett pin vises are very high quality.

Chicago Latrobe makes a nice set of 61-80 wire size drills. As far as I know, they don't come in screw machine lengths in this size range.

Thank you, on the carburetor in the picture, the 4 small brass plugs in a row on each side of the throttle openings are 10-32 plugs that tune the circuits. I could probably grab them in soft jaws.

Or maybe make a mandrel that you can screw the plugs into and drill them on the lathe.

That is another thought, but it needs an MT-3 chuck. I do not have a 0 size chuck for either machine.

If you like, I can box up a sensitive drill chuck, pin vises, tiny wire size drills and send it to you to get the job done. Just let me know.

Been there and done that!!!! I would not use a drill bit to size the hole! I would use clockmaker bushing reamers instead. I would kinda start over and re-think your tooling needs. Just my 3 cents…Dave

Thank you Mikey, the tuning stage is going to be a bit in the future, so I'll let you know. Chips the carb is being shipped with extra "blank" bleeds in the event the exact calibration needs fine tuning, but I wont know till I run it on her car, so I may still need to make holes. I will need to put the old ones back in if it made a change for the worse. Just explaining it so people can follow along.

Just some food for thought for you, I have been turning this over in my mind. I'm not thinking about carburetors, more the re-jetting of a natural gas burner to propane. Same process, different size drills. In the first place, putting a "pin vise" in the tail stock chuck is not arbitraily on center, it will need checking and truing before use. In the second, small drills need to run very fast at slow feed. Using the tail stock feed, look for broken bits. And often botched parts. I have occasionally mounted the body in a lathe tail stock chuck or drill press chuck. But centering the bit takes a while. Usually I work that small with brass. Steel would be a different matter.

Most times I will drill such holes by hand. The handheld version of a "pin vise" is regularly used by hobbyists and jewelers. The ones I have are by General and X-acto, a little under 10 bux last one I bought. These two versions have a double ended body, thumb swivel on one end, collet on the other. Two double ended collets handling Nr 80(.0135") to Nr 30(1/8"+) drills. Got a buddy that does model airplanes or model trains? They're sure to have at least one on hand.

As an alternative, there are small (jewelers?) reamers that go down to a needle point. I have a set, somewhere. They aren't as useful as the manufacturer claims. I'd rather use a small drill in a hand held chuck as a reamer. Just starting out a size or two smaller than desired. Getting it smooth by sliding the drill back and forth a few times. Then using the desired drill like a chucking reamer.

Just my two cents worth from working with model trains.
Bill Hudson​

Thank you Mikey, the tuning stage is going to be a bit in the future, so I'll let you know. Chips the carb is being shipped with extra "blank" bleeds in the event the exact calibration needs fine tuning, but I wont know till I run it on her car, so I may still need to make holes. I will need to put the old ones back in if it made a change for the worse. Just explaining it so people can follow along.
Yes, that is why I said “kinda” start over.

Back