Pipe threaders & welding black pipe fittings

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have about a dozen 3/4" iron pipes of various lengths to thread and the lengths are not standard "off the shelf" ones. I've seen cheap ($32-45) pipe threaders for sale. Does anyone have experience with the cheap ones? (similar to the ones at HF). If so, how good/bad are they? The cost of the cheapie threader and lengths of pipe I need are actually quite a bit cheaper than threaded pipe pieces of similar length from the big box store. I assume the cheapie threader isn't for lots of use but I don't plan on lots of use.

Are there any issues for welding black pipe fittings, to a steel plate for example? The pipe won't need to hold pressure when done. Purely decorative.

Last edited:
I have experience with the Cheap threaders.
Re: welding on fittings Hardware store black pipe fittings are almost always cast iron, proceed at your own risk. Forged fittings are available at much greater cost.

I assume you are referring to the ratcheting hand threading tool. If so, they work just fine. If you have a lot of threading to do you might look into buying the hand held electric threader. Mike

Brazing would be a better option for the cast fittings. Dont ask me how I know :laughing:

Brazing it is! That will do fine for my application anyway. I only have a few to do so I'm going to give the cheap hand threader a go.

Thanks all.

Black fittings are not cast iron they are maleable iron. For decorative purposes it's just fine to weld. I made several bird feeder stands when we redid our deck and have a fancy railing that can't take feeders anymore. As far as the harbor freight threaders go they work but you have to back off and clear the chips often. Also a good cutting fluid helps. I use butter cut which i think is lard based.

I just welded a bunch of pipe with pipe fittings. I used the MIG process (I always use .035” ER70S-6 wire and 25cfh C25 shielding gas) & I had zero issues.

i got a hf electric threader for another reason (to drive two another tools). i did have some threading to do so i tried it and the hf dies are junk. what i did was buy a used ridgid die, welded on a swag off road adapter and it worked fine.

A bit of a warning. The Harbor Freight threading dies I received were not standard. By this I mean, the dies did not cut the correct taper. Of course, I didn't know that, and threaded a lot of pipe by hand. I was running lines for compressed air in my garage. No matter what I did the pipe joints all leaked, with tape or pipe dope. (150 PSI air.) Save yourself some heart ache. Buy Ridgid or some other quality threading dies. I found some old dies that I inherited from my Dad. They cut true proper tapered threads. Pipes threaded with the antique Ridgid dies did not leak.

Back