Piston type qctp

StonewellMark

Active User
Registered
Hi everyone, How dramatic are the differences between a wedge type and a piston type quick change tool post?? Basically, is it worth buying a piston style? Thanks
Mark

Some say that there is no difference between Piston vs Wedge.
I had a piston type and found that the holder would rocker on first contact with the tool to the part. Upgraded to a Phase II knock off wedge type and no looseness of the holder. Less chatter as well.

Never had any issues with my A2Z QCTP, which is piston style. Gotta make sure they're tight before cutting.

I used a piston tool post for a while - didn't like the way the handle tightened in a different position depending on which dovetail I used for the holder. I feel quite certain that a Phase II or other import wedge type would be more satisfactory for me than a real Aloris piston.

So....do you think a piston set-up is worth buying??? CDCO has a SET on sale for $78.

For that price, absolutely. A QCTP is a huge improvement in any lathe.

IMO, you'll forget the cost difference very quickly. Get the PhaseII wedge type from Enco, who seems to have a permanent web sale on it, then get a dozen more holders from CDCO. It's the nature of either type that the locking handle position will vary depending on the fit of the particular holder. The CDCOs are only so-so in this regard, but even if you have to scrap one, they're so cheap it doesn't matter. Or glue in a thin shim. Also, be sure to disassemble your new import QCTP and clean out all the crud and re-lube it.

I have both, and I don't have issues with either. Never really gave it much thought.

One general comment that came to mind when I read that sometimes the holders are tighter on wedge type QC. I have one holder (unknown brand) that is so weak or soft that if I really tighten the screws on a bar or something, it distorts enough that it won't budge when I try to release the QC. I have dye checked it for cracks, but I cannot find anything. It probably is just a cheap holder. If I have to use it (not often do I need more than I have good ones), I don't really tighten the screws until I get it mounted on the post.

I have the PH II piston-type and it works just fine. I have bought tool holders from different sources, CDCO, Grizzly ... and the tolerances do vary, so they tighten with the handle ending in various locations, but they all work well. I do like the 40-position holders (don't remember their name right off) because of the "memory" location for different holders. To mimic that, I modified the base of my PH II holder with detents every 15 degrees and put a spring loaded ball in the base. I can now rotate it and count "clicks" to know what position the tool is in. It makes life a wee bit easier for set-up.

I just ordered a Phase II AXA Wedge style from Enco. Got it for $180 plus free shipping. Everyone seems to be consistently happy with the Phase II Wedge and Piston style. Although most seem to "Upgrade" to the wedge. So I must say, Thank You all for you generosity in sharing your experience and knowledge. :)

Mark

Back