Plan on getting a new mill

Dogdoc

Registered
Registered
Just want opinions on the best knee mill I can get for around 10000 or so. I work full time so do not have time or desire to get an old clapped out Bridgeport to refurbish. I am thinking the pm 935tv may work. I will use for some farm equipment repair and gunsmithing. Also just miscellaneous projects. I want something that does not require a lot of work to run right. I will do power feeds and of course dro.
i think I like the size of 935. What kind of limitations would that machine put on me. I am definitely a novice and currently have a wrong fu rf31 full manual machine (which I will keep)
thanks

you might want to give H&W Machine Repair a call. They have a number of refurbished Bridgeport's and even a rebuilt Lagun FTV-2 complete with a DRO. Many of us have done business with them in the past. They are highly reputable, easy to work with and excellent rebuilders. Over the years I've bought parts and tool in from them and have been very happy with their prices and service.

When you say farm equipment, you will have a need for large drills and mill on large parts. I suggest you get one of the biggest knee mills with box ways and 4 or 5 hp head. Get one with taper 40 tooling. Supermax makes a great one, so does Lagun. Also Vectrax and bridgeport series II. I have a Vectrax and a supermax.

These mills can easily be found in the 5-7K range, at least in my area. More if you are a long way from manufacturing cities.

Put it in a room where you can get your loader or a forklift near it. I have done stuff like holding the backhoe main arm on the loader and resting one end on the mill table to re bore a pivot pin bore.

here's one offer:

I have this one:

Last edited:
I like your plan to get the 935TS/TV. Add the power drive and DRO to meet your needs and you will still stay within your $10k budget. What's not to love?

@Dogdoc Shiny and new does have its advantages, particularly if the price isn't to much of a stretch. I have 3 mills, all used and am very happy with all of them.

On serious tip: go for 3phase and VFD over a vari-speed head. You get far better control and more than adequate torque. If you really need serious grunt, that is what the back gear is for. And for free you get double the speed range in back gear. I use my belt drive mills in just this way all the way up to 4000RPM, and all the way down to about 25RPM (I haven't gone super slow in many years, no need for me).

I have one vari-speed, and two step belt units. I seldom turn on the vari-speed unit any more. Soon, it wil;l be my only mill - and it is getting the VFD treatment once the other 2 are gone. For convenience.

Last edited:
I would not be doing any large farm type jobs. My biggest tractor is only about 75 hp .my repairs might replacing a brace on a bushhog and other similar things . Might be drilling some 1 inch holes on occasion but I have done that with my mill drill. A lot of smaller things with some gunsmithing thrown in. Refurbished mills seem rare in Alabama and my time is so tight that I don’t want to use it repairing old stuff. I have a main job and raise a modest herd of beef cattle on my farm so my metal work is evenings and rainy weekends when I can’t or don’t need to work on the farm.. I would be fine with a truly professional reworked Bridgeport but I think they are like hens teeth down here. is the general consensus that pm 935tv machines are pretty good. Seems like one poster here did extensive work on his even repainting it. I wonder if all that was necessary on a new machine. That scares me a little.

I would not be doing any large farm type jobs. My biggest tractor is only about 75 hp .my repairs might replacing a brace on a bushhog and other similar things . Might be drilling some 1 inch holes on occasion but I have done that with my mill drill. A lot of smaller things with some gunsmithing thrown in. Refurbished mills seem rare in Alabama and my time is so tight that I don’t want to use it repairing old stuff. I have a main job and raise a modest herd of beef cattle on my farm so my metal work is evenings and rainy weekends when I can’t or don’t need to work on the farm.. I would be fine with a truly professional reworked Bridgeport but I think they are like hens teeth down here. is the general consensus that pm 935tv machines are pretty good. Seems like one poster here did extensive work on his even repainting it. I wonder if all that was necessary on a new machine. That scares me a little.
I don't have the PM machine but I do have an older 9x35 Taiwan built mill. It's all I can fit in my space but would have gone bigger if I could have.

That said, I think you'll be fine. If you do need something bigger down the line you'll know more and have more time to find it.

People here have different requirements, some are going for absolute precision because that's what they want. Pretty sure you'll be fine for general work and you can make improvements if needed.

John

the general consensus that pm 935tv machines are pretty good
One of my 3 mills is the Modern tool version of a PM35. It is a great machine. two of my friends have them too, everybody likes them.

I ws trying to suggest that the PM935TS 3PH is 600$ cheaper than the PM935tv 1PH, to which you can easily add (or have PM add) a 99$ VFD - that gives you a slightly better machine for 500 bucks less. You can use that to have them put the 600$ DRO on it - I consider a DRO a must for a hobby machinist on a mill-

I don't remember the thread on him reworking the PM935tv.

One thing you will find necessary - Unless you are very, very short, you will need a base riser. One friend made a 5" one, and the other has a 4". I can't bend, even slightly, for a long time, so my riser is 9". I used 4"X8" steel tubing, because that is what I could lay my hands on for cheap.

Since you don't want to tinker with your new mill- get the machine feet. His are very well priced, and you will be glad you did.

I would still look at used machines.
10 grand is a lot of money for a hobbyist IMHO.

I took time over the last 5-10 years scanning Kijiji and Marketplace.
I have a Martin DLZ 20" x 80" lathe, K&T Vertical Mill, Brown and Sharpe surface grinder, Mas radial arm drill, DoAll 36"band saw, 20" shaper, Miller Welder and a Giddings and Lewis 3" horizontal boring mill.
I still don't have $5000 in machines. My machines are not shiny, but they work great.
What I do have ten grand tied up in is electrical. Even if you buy brand new, it will still be more for electrical. 3 phase power is not as cheap to get as it is to use.

This is only my opinion. Worth about 3 cents in today's economy.

Cheers
Martin

Back