Planning For Everything??

Something I started doing with a particularly difficult (for me) or convoluted process is jotting down a step-by-step checklist of operations. I think this might be called 'critical path' or something like that, I don't know, I just started doing it when I was behind the eight ball on woodworking projects that had to have finishing times/glue drying times factored in to my expected completion date. You know, things I might not think about taking much time but that actually do.

It's not detailed nor fancy, just a point by point list of how I envision making a particular part. I find that I'm always thinking about a project well in advance anyways, so by jotting down how I figure I'm going to do it is almost like doing mental rehearsals of all the processes. I review it, adjust the order of operations if needed, rehearse it again, etc all in my head before I even get near the machine. While I'm watching TV, having my lunch at work, whenever. It helps me to solidify what I'm going to do, how I'm going to do it, and when in the overall process I need to do it.

It's not a perfect system, and the process still stays fluid as soon as I start the work, but I find that the list does help to highlight things are maybe a bit iffy or worth having a second look about the best way to do them. And then I still screw it up, just not as bad!

-frank

If it a complicated project, I usually make a prototype out of a cheaper material. It makes it much easier to see how it goes together. Also, I'm able to work out the sequence of operations in building it. And last of all, many times, I see a better way of designing and building the project.

Been there, done that. Nothing like realizing "Boy, if I had all that metal I'd removed already I could hold the part for the last operation."

In the past when working CNC production, it was not a rare occurance to get a program for a new and untried part, only to have to send it back to engineering for rethinking. Many times they put in a feature like a blind pocket, with only a small threaded hole for access.

In other words, it happens at every level of machining.

Yup I see machinists run across a lot of similar problems to carpenters. Get plans for something only to realize it needs a bit of "tweaking" to make it work. But yes I have discovered your guys way of doing things is what I have learned in other areas of life as well. Sometimes you come across a problem and have to rethink your process and alter things as needed to make it work. Lot of really great advice in this forum though. Very intelligent well spoken people here with friendly ways of offering advice.

My carpenter buddy was complaining about one of his coworkers on a custom home. The guy cut a huge beam (something like 16"x8"x18') like two feet short for the space it was spanning.

My carpenter buddy was complaining about one of his coworkers on a custom home. The guy cut a huge beam (something like 16"x8"x18') like two feet short for the space it was spanning.
Ouch. Yeah sad to say but that happens far more frequently than most people realize. I have tons of free windows in my garage and at my farm from those tiny mismeasurements. One school project I worked on was a "Leeds Program" where all garbage is weighed and counts against the general contractors environmental score on the project (they have to meet a certain score or face huge penslties). Anything they remove from site that is recycled gets weighed and counted in their favor. Glazers somehow ordered a lot of windows the wrong sizes. So suddenly I was a hero on site when I offered to take them all to my farm to build a "greenhouse". ended up a few guys later decided to cut rebar with an angle grinder right after several walls of glass were installed (3/4" thick glass panels between 16"wide by 8 ft tall up to about 3ft wide by 8 ft tall). A couple microscopic pits were then discovered and I became the hero yet again when you guessed my greenhouse grew substantially larger.

So yes I see tons of those oopses. Sadly I made far too many myself over the years but we learn from them as a way of growing. I'm finally starting to learn though it is far better to learn from the other guys mistakes if at all possible rather than be the guy the boss uses to teach others.

If you are able to say, what exactly is that part? Great discussion here by the way. Thanks, Mike

todaystube_zps3iyrsqm5.jpg

A concept I used to drill into the heads of those I worked with was "Draw what you're going to build, then build what you drew!" I learned (during my attendance at The School of Hard Knocks) that a few minutes with a pencil and paper and then a few more with a cup of coffee (or a soda pop) while you study your sketch can sometimes resolve what could have been an expensive and time wasting misteak... It's not as much fun as ruining the first couple examples of your handiwork but it gets the job done! Regardless of your planning: Have fun in your shop and be safe!

Dirty Al

I always draw things in cad and if it is something that is a complicated assembly I do it in a solid model to make sure everything fits properly.

Back