Plastic Conduit-Connecting Outlet Boxes

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm talking about the grey glue-in-the-conduit type (not the threaded type). If I have a multi-connection box (say 3 connections for example), but I want to use fewer connections, what is the kosher way to plug the unused conduit bung (in the box)?

I imagined there would be plugs available to glue into unused conduit bungs but I haven't found them.

I can easily find the white PVC glue in plugs (SPG type) in the plumbing department. Will an inspector pass that usage?

If not, what is the kosher method to close an unused glue-in type conduit bung?

Short stub of conduit and a cap? Not sure what code says but it would be closed, using electrical PVC products.

Short stub of conduit and a cap? Not sure what code says but it would be closed, using electrical PVC products.
True. I thought of that. I expect it's code compliant.
I'm working in tight quarters and don't want even a cap protruding.

I'm talking about the grey glue-in-the-conduit type (not the threaded type). If I have a multi-connection box (say 3 connections for example), but I want to use fewer connections, what is the kosher way to plug the unused conduit bung (in the box)?

I imagined there would be plugs available to glue into unused conduit bungs but I haven't found them.

I can easily find the white PVC glue in plugs (SPG type) in the plumbing department. Will an inspector pass that usage?

If not, what is the kosher method to close an unused glue-in type conduit bung?
The glue-in plastic boxes I remember came with all of the connections blocked with a knock-out, just like metal boxes.

I have found grey PVC Schedule 80 spigot plugs available. Manufacturers and McMaster state for potable water services.

Stupid expensive at McMaster.

Still would like to hear advice from experienced tradesmen. Do we have members who are/were Electricians.

The glue-in plastic boxes I remember came with all of the connections blocked with a knock-out, just like metal boxes.
That would solve the problem alright. The only type boxes I saw, at Home Depot, were lacking the knock-outs you described.
I don't know if I've ever used the grey PVC electrical fittings before, so I'm not all knowing. If I had found that type of box, I guess I wouldn't have decided to start this thread.

Get a box with fewer connections

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Perhaps you could us the same block offs that are made for metal boxes; two types, one with springy tabs and the other with a screw and strongback that serves the same need.

I have found grey PVC Schedule 80 spigot plugs available. Manufacturers and McMaster state for potable water services.

Stupid expensive at McMaster.

Still would like to hear advice from experienced tradesmen. Do we have members who are/were Electricians.

cap.pngThis should be acceptable but check with your inspector

Back