Pleasant Surprise This Morning.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
This morning I stopped by a local used machine dealer to pick up a couple pieces of angle iron. It didn't take long to find what I needed so I took a tour through one of the rooms that they have setup for tooling. Much to my surprise I ran across a Skoda MT3 live center set. I've been looking for one for a few months but found it hard to believe the asking prices. The least expensive choice to date was an eBay offering for $625.00. Other vendors like Travers and Penn Tools had them for between $975.00 and $1,200.00

I purchased this one for $245.00. It appears to be new in the box, however the box does show a few sets of fingerprints. Sometimes it pays to be patient. This incident also alerted me as to the wide range of pricing on some tooling. I don't know the exact reasons for the significant differences from vendor to vendor, but it seems a far greater range than before the pandemic.

If you don't mind sharing, where is this dealer located? I have been searching for some time for a local machinery dealer without success.

I just let a Skoda MT5 set go pretty cheap to a member on here . Nice center and set . I'll never have a lathe that big again to use it so it has to go . Good news is , a load of logs came today and another load will come tomorrow . Have to fire the chainsaws and splitter up ! :)

I'm sure both will post pics ! :grin:

If you don't mind sharing, where is this dealer located? I have been searching for some time for a local machinery dealer without success.
The name of the place is Copper Creek Resale & Discount Center. It's in Footville Wisconsin. The front half of the store is arts and crafts. The back room is mainly material and tooling. His main business is buying out closed businesses (mainly machine shops and production facilities) and reselling the assets. A couple blocks from the store is the former Footville Lumber company where he has buildings for storage and large machinery.

If you're interested in machinery, it's best to talk to the person in the store and make an appointment to go through the buildings. He's on the road quite a bit and finding him at one of the buildings is a hit and miss scenario. On occasion I've been able to look through the buildings, but they're huge and packed floor to ceiling.

The name of the place is Copper Creek Resale & Discount Center. It's in Footville Wisconsin. The front half of the store is arts and crafts. The back room is mainly material and tooling. His main business is buying out closed businesses (mainly machine shops and production facilities) and reselling the assets. A couple blocks from the store is the former Footville Lumber company where he has buildings for storage and large machinery.

If you're interested in machinery, it's best to talk to the person in the store and make an appointment to go through the buildings. He's on the road quite a bit and finding him at one of the buildings is a hit and miss scenario. On occasion I've been able to look through the buildings, but they're huge and packed floor to ceiling.
Thanks for the information, I don't get down that way very often as it is about 120 mile round trip but I'll keep it in mind the next time I plan a trip in that direction.

I wish I knew about this place when I was living in WI.!

Here are some pictures of the Skoda MT3 center with interchangeable tips. Note the tip second from the left. It's different than other kits I've seen. This one has a threaded brass cylinder in the center.

Others like this don't have the brass center.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1258.JPG
    IMG_1258.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 25
Should be a little wedge tool somewhere in that box also , maybe just not shown . Other than the brass thing , looks identical to the set I just sold . I'm sure the member will post a pic of the MT5 set when he gets it . They are top notch sets IMO .

Edit , I see the wedge now . :big grin:

Back