Resolved Please change file attachment restrictions to allow .scad files

homebrewed

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
.scad files are used by OpenSCAD, a parametric mechanical CAD program. If .DXF files are allowed, why not .scad?

Thank you for considering my request -- HB

I got the same message @WobblyHand noted on the earlier link.

I was able to access that without getting an error, just the word “test” with no additional attachment.
I’m on an ipad so can’t retry uploading to the downloads area until tomorrow when ai’m back at the computer.
On the right side of the screen you should see a blue download button.

Upvote 0
UPDATE:

I will spare all of you the gory details, but I have a request in with the developer on why we are experiencing this. There is a setting that appears to be inconsistently set (or perhaps I just don't understand why it is set that way) and I have asked some questions with the developers and other forum admins in the Xenforo support forums to help me understand what I'm looking at.

Suffice to say that right now, it looks like donating members can upload to sub-categories in the downloads section, but not at the parent level. This is by design so as to make sure downloads are organized by category and not cluttering up the download manager with no organization.

This presents two problems: 1)how does one know this without prior knowledge and 2) if we want members to upload otherwise generally uncategorized files, then there should be a category for this. I would put the problem encountered in this support ticket into this category. Most files have been uploaded to the downloads manager by a handful of members over the years - into preset categories of their specific interest. @wa5cab and his plethora of Atlas/Craftsman files are the best example of this. Most members just don't share files to the downloads section.

In trying to determine how to organize the downloads section so that categories can be utilized by more members, as all of you have signaled in this support ticket, I ran into this setting problem. Please sit tight, more to come.

Upvote 0
Thanks for digging into this. Appreciate your efforts.

Upvote 0
Should any of you want or need to upload a file or files and there is not a logical folder to put it into, notify me and I can add a folder or directory for it to live in. However, if you tried to upload a file into a folder (category) and were told that you couldn't do it, then that folder has probably been set up deliberately to remain empty. And no one may upload to it, even the Owner. There are also some folders that only Staff can or could see that were mainly for organizing the system back when it was being set up and everything being moved around. No one gave the specific folder names so I can't guess as to what really happened,

I will also mention that the current Downloads didn't originally exist and was adapted by the Owner many years ago for its current purpose. That is the reason that a few names of parts of it are a little strange.

Upvote 0
@rabler and @WobblyHand can both of you go backwards in the thread and find the test file download link I posted sometime ago? I want to make sure you can access this. Sorry, this thread slipped off my radar screen. It looks good from my end just need to hear from you if it is working or not.

Upvote 0
Bryan,
Just tried and still got the message:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

Upvote 0
@homebrewed attached an scad file the other day to the XRF thread. I was able to download it and use it. (I had to install OpenSCAD, to use the file, but the forum allowed the saving and downloading of the file from the post.)

Upvote 0
@homebrewed attached an SCAD file the other day to the XRF thread. I was able to download it and use it. (I had to install OpenSCAD, to use the file, but the forum allowed the saving and downloading of the file from the post.)
Thanks. I'm going to mark as resolved at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Back