Please help - Any ideas welcome

Advisual

Registered
Registered
I was working on my 2007 Buick Rendevous changing out the thermostat and I accidentally stripped out the mounting thread with the wrong bolt. I am trying to figure out a way to repair it. I had a person come over who had an arc welding setup who tried to weld a bolt to the back side of the tread but it kept welding the nut with the bolt we were using to hold the nut in place. Also the nut was not welding to the cast iron block.
I have uploaded several pics to show what a before and after look like. I also show how I was trying to mount a bolt with a nut on the back side.
Can anyone suggest a way to fix my issue?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200601_122419.jpg
    20200601_122419.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20200601_122512.jpg
    20200601_122512.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 20200121_145150_HDR.jpg
    20200121_145150_HDR.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 20200121_145115.jpg
    20200121_145115.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 79
  • 20200526_091029.jpg
    20200526_091029.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 70
Oh man,
I'd welcome you to the forum today but you are having one bad time of it.
If the manifold was off and you could machine the mounting surface this task would be much easier.
My thinking is, mount the manifold on a milling table, build up the area with brass rod. machine, drill and tap.
You would have to extend the arm on the knee mill so you could drill at a 90 degree angle.
Sorry, that's all I got. Fixing it inside the vehicle will be a mickey mouse job that will leak. In my humble opinion sir.

Yup, what Jeff said. I cannot see a way to fix this in-vehicle.

It looks like to me that the broken part is on the engine block itself, yes/no? If yes, I agree with Jeff, not an in the car job.

Do you have room to make a big clamp out of two pieces of metal and sandwich the housing in between?

My first attempt would be to replace the manifold from a u pull it place. Last resort would be to weld a stud in that hole location probably braze it on or tig with some silicone bronze. Least amount of heat possible

That’s aluminum. I don’t think brass will do it. But....like others said. Get a used one from a salvage yard. Buick / Chevy v-6 pretty damned common. And it’s not that hard to change.

if it was a hard to find part...yeah tig aluminum and machining it .. but that’s probably a common V-6. Providing it’s 3.8 or 4.3

put a fork in it, its done!

you could remove the manifold and try some of the low temp alloys for repair
but i think you'd be better off with another manifold after the expense of time to remove, repair and re-install

Also the nut was not welding to the cast iron block.

That's because that block is aluminum. Check if a magnet sticks to it. ;)

To fix that in-vehicle would require quite a bit of skill, not to mention A LOT of amperage to puddle a huge chunk of aluminum! Again, this kind of repair is not for someone who has just any old "arc welding" set-up. You need a BEEFY TIG welder that has AC capability in the hands of someone who has done this before.

Back