Please Help Choose Right Size Milling Vise

Playingwithmetal

Registered
Registered
image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg Hey, I was given a Chinese 3 in 1 milling drilling lathe machine. It does not have a vise however. The milling table is not like a standard Bridgeport machines table. I am not sure how I would mount a vise using the parallel 2 t slots. Here are some pics and dimensions of the milling table. I just don't want to order the wrong vise and have to pay return shipping plus th shipping on a different vise. Thanks in advance. image.jpg

Congratulations on your [windfall] gift.

If the two slots on the end are T slots, you could use them for any vice that will fit on the table. Then determine what sized vice will be able to be clamped on the table. On my 4" vice the screws are about 6 inches apart. If your table is 10 inches long I would think a 6" vice would be about all you'd want, perhaps more than you'd need. If your vice came with pivot type base, that may also limit its size.

I don't see any vertical movement provision besides the quill, so you might want a riser block or two, to get the work closer to the top of the quill moment (where there's more accuracy to it's position.

Do you have a website you would recommend ordering from? Those are all good points. I had not looked into raisers.
Thanks

Given the size of your table, my first suggestion would be to get a 3" "screwless" vise. I have one on my mini-mill, and it does a good job of securely holding work pieces. Little Machine Shop has a couple of possibilities ...
Vise, on closeout for $60: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4871&category=
Hold-dowwn clamps for above, $25:http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2675&category=
Slightly different vise (holes on edges instead of slots), package deal including hold-downs, $82: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3767&category=

Does your combo tool include any kind of lathe tool holder(s)? If not, you might want to check out http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3474&category=1963256896
Does it include a tailstock for the lathe? A compound? You may want to do some exploring on LMS's website. Chris, the owner, is very helpful and is good at answering questions about what's likely to fit (including vises).

In case you haven't figured it out by now, "There's nothing more expensive than a free machine tool." Not only are you going to spend something like the (original) cost of the tool on tooling, but if you go anywhere at all, you'll be HOOKED on the hobby! Luckily, it's very enjoyable, and what's more, it's legal!

Best wishes!

PS - LMS isn't the only source by any means! Tom Brederhoft mentioned machinetoolonline, which has had nothing but favorable mentions on this forum, though they may be oriented toward larger equipment than you have. Enco, Grizzly, CDCO, etc. will all have stuff that may work for you. Finally, you might want to check out Smithy, who currently sell combo machines: http://www.smithy.com/

Last edited:
By the looks I thing a 4" would be about right.

Consider if you have designs on a larger mill in the future. Getting a larger vise that would serve you well later may be the best option.
What's your budget ? A quality vise is worth it in my opinion, but they do cost even for used ones.

Thanks for all the replies. I think a 3 inch precision milling vise would best suit this machine. I am a bit concerned about the vise being tall enough to reach the quill. Someone mentioned a riser block for the vise but I have not been able to find any for sale. Also. I bought a set of end mills and no an realizing that I need a set of end mill holders or collets. Are the necessary? Also what about parallels and mounting kits. I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I don't need right now.
Thanks

I am a bit concerned about the vise being tall enough to reach the quill. Someone mentioned a riser block for the vise but I have not been able to find any for sale.
This would probably be something you'd make yourself. As a preliminary step, remove the chuck from the mill spindle and run the spindle down as far as it will go. Now assume the bottom of the workpiece will be elevated about an inch or so by the vise. Manually hold one of your milling cutters part way up inside the quill (about where it would be when held by a collet). This should give you an indication of how thick a riser block you'll want. You can then purchase a piece of aluminum of whatever (stock) thickness is available that's a bit thicker than what you came up with. Tooling plate, if available, is nicely flat and parallel. But even extruded stock will probably be flat enough to get you a start. If you really want to economize (especially to get started quickly/cheaply, and get a feel for machining), you might even get away with a thickness or two of good, smooth 3/4" plywood. Whatever you get, you'll have to cut it to size to fit under your vise.

Also. I bought a set of end mills and no an realizing that I need a set of end mill holders or collets. Are the necessary? Also what about parallels and mounting kits. I just don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I don't need right now.
Thanks
A chuck should never be used for milling. Chucks can not take side loads. So you'll have to buy some collets or mill holders. By the way ... because mill holders extend out of the spindle, you might not need a riser block for the vise. Of course, you'll have to start by determining what kind of internal taper your mill spindle has. The common ones are R8 and MT3. Look at the arbor on your chuck. If it's one long continuous conical surface, it's probably MT3. If it's conical near the chuck and cylindrical at the other end, it's probably R8. See photo. MT3 is on top. kHPIM3778.jpg

As for the hold-downs, I'd suggest starting with a small handful of t-slot nuts from CDCO. http://www.cdcotools.com/ Search for "t slot nut". The ones you'll want are probably the 7/16" size, but check your table slots. These nuts are just $2 apiece. You can get by with lengths of 3/8" all-thread, some washers, and 3/8" nuts. If you get vise hold-downs along with the vise, you're on your way. Given the size of your mill table, I doubt you'd ever need a full set of hold-downs, so you can start small and gradually build up your stock. Lengths of 3/8"(or 1/2") x 1" steel bar can be used to hold work pieces down on the table, and many different things, even various thicknesses of plywood, can be used to support the "other end" of the hold-down.

Parallels are good to have, but again, you can get by for a while with pieces of cold rolled or aluminum bar stock. If you want "real" ones, I'd suggest LMS part numbers 1893 or 2924, both of which are 3" long and will fit your vise.

As you gain experience with the mill, you'll soon figure out what else you need or what would be handy. And of course, it's always good to get quality stuff that you can use if/when you upgrade to larger machine tools. I've tried to suggest the most inexpensive alternatives in this post, but the sky's the limit. As I mentioned in my previous post, it can easily become an addiction (though legal).

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Go to yahoo 3 in 1 group and join they should be able to help you make the right decision and give you lots of information.
Also look on the smitty website and see what size vise's they offer for each size of their lathes.
tomh

Back