Please help me identify this mill

Hi and welcome.

You definitely have a vertical mill, not horizontal. Did you get any tooling with it? Knowing what spindle taper it uses is actually more important than who built it since that dictates what tooling you need.

John

Hi and welcome.

You definitely have a vertical mill, not horizontal. Did you get any tooling with it? Knowing what spindle taper it uses is actually more important than who built it since that dictates what tooling you need.

John
Fortunately it takes r8 collets, which is what my rf-30 takes. The only thing I got with it was a bunch of end mills.

Some features on it remind me of an Adcock-Shipley, but I don't think they made a vertical mill, did they?

Some features on it remind me of an Adcock-Shipley, but I don't think they made a vertical mill, did they?
This mill has the drive motor in the back of the base at the bottom. Then a belt that goes bottom to top where it drives a shaft.

You have a Hedwick mill. Manufactured by Fenlind Engineering. It was also labeled and sold as a Rockford mill and Logan lathes carried it under their name for a while. The blanking plate on the face of the mill should have a tachometer to read spindle speed. There are a few people on this forum who own these mills. Most annoying feature is there is no spring to lift the quill. If the lock is loose, the quill can drop quite easily.

Attachments

• Hedwick mill.jpg
    Hedwick mill.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Hedwick Serial Label.JPG
    Hedwick Serial Label.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 32
You have a Hedwick mill. Manufactured by Fenlind Engineering. It was also labeled and sold as a Rockford mill and Logan lathes carried it under their name for a while. The blanking plate on the face of the mill should have a tachometer to read spindle speed. There are a few people on this forum who own these mills. Most annoying feature is there is no spring to lift the quill. If the lock is loose, the quill can drop quite easily.

I have the same machine but with no markings my tags are all removed. I'm missing the power down feet handle and apparatus. Would you be able to post pictures of the power down feed?

Does this help?

Attachments

• ED8B7464-AB93-45FC-95D1-DA7DDD62B3B1.jpeg
    ED8B7464-AB93-45FC-95D1-DA7DDD62B3B1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • AA2333EF-3ACA-4132-AE11-31B8BCD58777.jpeg
    AA2333EF-3ACA-4132-AE11-31B8BCD58777.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Back