Plusses And Minuses Of Various Collet Chucks For Lathe

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm thinking about purchasing a collet chuck for my 16" lathe. I need to hold some small parts and machine close to the chuck. Collets just seem more forgiving to me as far as crashes or inadvertent placement of my hand etc. Also, the TIR is starting to become a factor for me on the smaller stuff. My usage is small jobs (50 parts) and hobby use.

I've searched the threads and learned what I could from what I found. My spindle is a D1-6 size. I only want to buy this thing once so I'm looking for some advice. I looked at cheapie ones, Bison ones, and the Atlas Quickie 5C. The atlas is nice because it will mount directly to the spindle. However, I think that means that the TIR of my spindle adds to the overall TIR, right? I have used one of these decades ago.

It seems that adapting to the D1-6 for the cheapie ones would mean I machine an adapter plate. Not a problem in itself I suppose. There are too many options. 5C? ER type? What are the drivers in picking a collet type? I will likely be using the collets for work holding on a milling machine as well.

Lever vs. key? What is a tru collet?

Thank you for your help.

A tru-set collet is micro adjustable to eliminate any inconsistencies in your spindle. 5c is very common and has round, square and hex in all common sizes. I have one of those and one like this https://houston.craigslist.org/tld/5298991481.html which is a Hardinge and has a slightly larger size up to 1 3/8 if you can find one of these with a full set of collets they work great.

I've searched the threads and learned what I could from what I found. My spindle is a D1-6 size. I only want to buy this thing once so I'm looking for some advice. I looked at cheapie ones, Bison ones, and the Atlas Quickie 5C. The atlas is nice because it will mount directly to the spindle. However, I think that means that the TIR of my spindle adds to the overall TIR, right?

If you were looking at tolerances, the runouts would add as you would always look at the worst case. However, in your situation, it is possible that they could go in opposite directions and cancel. Worst case, you can try various mounting orientations to find the one which gives the least runout.

If you are going to be making multiple parts the leaver is simple and fast. The price of a name brand accurate chuck can be cost prohibitive :( and the cheaper ones can lead to a mental meltdown:confused:. I have the lever and the old school hand wheel closers they are simple and accurate. For what you may be doing the lever sounds the best and possibly the most cost effective option.

This is something to consider. grizzly has t10171 leaver closer on sale for 295.00 it fits a d16 spindle. the length of the spindle is 23" just something else to cloud the mind ;)
Tomh

I have a Hardinge 5C sjogren speed chuck. This is a 5c direct mount d1-6 back. It uses a ring on the chuck body to tighten and loosen the collet. I dont have the lathe anymore so its surplus for me PM me if this is something you would be interested in

I just got an adjustable 5C chuck for my little 8" lathe. For a lathe as big as yours, I'd look for a spindle adapter, make one, or pay someone to make one. Every time to put the chuck on, you have to dial it in, a spindle adapter is a lot faster to install.

Randy Richard has a good video on working with his.

Thanks for all the ideas and information. Regarding the Hardinge 5C, does the Hardinge 5C take "special" collets or will any off the shelf 5C collet work?
What are the ups and downs of the other types of collets like the ER series?

tomh - Thanks for the heads up at Grizzly. Yet another option to look at! :).

Dan-S - Looks like we posted at about the same time. I just watched the videos. That would be a great approach. I think I will look into that too. Thanks.

So, the T10171 looks like a great deal since it is for a discontinued lathe G9733. My G0509G has about 2.5" shorter headstock than the discontinued G9733 but I should be able to adapt it. Great ideas everyone. I appreciate it.
Still wondering about all the ER collets and what +/- of those are just out of curiosity.

Dan-S - Looks like we posted at about the same time. I just watched the videos. That would be a great approach. I think I will look into that too. Thanks.

It's the fastest and least fussy type, but it requires your spindle an adapter to be accurately mated.

here are some videos of Ray Caniglia tuning up the Grizzly one for his lathe. its the same deal to get really good results you need to grind the adapter in-place, and give it a reference mark. Once that's done they are a joy to use.

The pluses of er collets is you need less of them, as they have a greater gripping range. The minus is that they are not great at gripping shot stock, because of how the collet is made.

Back