PM 1127VF-LB Gear Train/Gear Change Issues

spotttrouble

Registered
Registered
Hi folks, I'm trying to help a neighbor get his PM lathe gears changed, and maybe running quieter. I've been running lathes for decades, but almost exclusively lathes with quick change gear boxes, so not an expert on gear changing. Neighbor purchased the lathe about 3 years ago, not sure how much he has used it, and a few years ago he let someone else change the gears so that a 12 tpi thread could be cut, and its been that way ever since. Spent about 3 hours this morning honing out the gears so the bushings were a nice slip fit, instead of a press fit, and although it is working for feeds now, it seems awfully noisey. First few test runs the stud the gears run on unscrewed, think its good to go now........ has anyone redesigned those studs, they seem kind of cheesy. Gear train seems kind of noisey, is that normal? Suggestions to quiet it besides thicker grease?

If the gears are not worn it's likely loose gear mesh making them loud. I always find it tricky to get the banjo just right.

Also, mesh can be too tight, there should be about ,020 between tooth crest and the gullet of the opposing gear.

Back