PM 1228 90 Tooth lower gear and threading and excellent customer service

RLPrice

Registered
Registered
Just a heads up. I was practicing single point thread cutting on my new PM 1228 VF-LB lathe. I was just trying to cut an 18 tpi thread, and for the life of me I could not get multiple passes to line up using the threading dial. Initially I assumed I was making a mistake, but after ruining four different threads I just kept the half nut engaged, like I was cutting a metric thread, and it cut the thread just fine. I called Precision Matthews, and immediately was able to discuss the situation with a person. After I outlined my problem, it was suggested I make sure the lower 90 tooth gear in the external drive was really a 90 tooth gear and not a 91 tooth. I responded that the gear was labeled as 90, and was advised that some lathes were shipped with mislabeled gears. I went out to the shop and carefully counted the teeth of that gear. Sure enough it was a 91 tooth!!! I called Mike at PM back, reported my findings, and he immediately sent the correct 90 T gear. I received it in 3 days, During these times when it's hard to find good customer service, Quality Machine Tools/Precision Matthews is definitely the exception!

I had exactly the same problem. They were out of replacement gears at the time, just received mine today. Checked, and the new one is 90.

That's Precision Matthew all over. They want our repeat business and deserve it.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I checked my gear and it has 91 teeth. Precision Matthews is sending a 90 tooth gear after calling them. While the customer service was great, I think they should have let me know there may be an issue with the gear.

Back