PM-1228VF-LB lathe cross slide dimensions

George Rolet

Registered
Registered
Hi All

I'm due to receive my PM-1228VF-LB lathe in February (2021) and while I wait I have decided to to make an adapter plate for a tool holder that mounts directly to the cross slide (not the compound). I contacted precision Matthews but they don't have one in stock to measure, so they sent me here to ask. I was hoping someone with this lathe could make a few quick measurements for me.

For this adapter plate I need two dimensions;
  1. Cross slide table (ref 504, part Z2445) width, and
  2. The center to center measurement of the two t-nut slots in the cross slide table.
Thanks in advance.

George

Are you planning on outfitting this lathe with a Lantern type tool holder? Please say "no." :)

Here's some quick measurements.

Attachments

• 1228 cross slide width (2).jpg
    1228 cross slide width (2).jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 1228 T nut width (2).jpg
    1228 T nut width (2).jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 114
Here's some quick measurements.
Thanks for the quick reply, but i think we got our wires crossed.

I'm looking for the width of part 504 (see below) and the T-slot (center to center) of part 504. I think you measured part 549, the compound base plate. I believe the "compound base plate" 549 and the "cross slide casting" 504" are probably the same width but the T-slots are probably different.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Capture.JPG

There are NO T slots in #504 and 549 is bolted on with 4 - 8x1.25 Hex bolts #501
compound cross slide (2).jpgThe width is 120mm as shown in photo 1.
Here's a pic of my PM-1228VF-LB Lathe, the parts diagram is incorrect.

SRay53TxTn, sorry My 1228 looks like parts diagram. About 2 years old. Doesn't have the solid block shown in your picture.

Width of slide is 4.730". C 2 C of slots is 3.534" Width of slot is .388". A 3/8" end mill floats in slots and a W drill fits much better. I took the readings several times since I didn't believe them. 2 different calipers and a couple of different ways on the slots. In the end, the ball bearings don't lie. Laid a machinist scale on the slide and it shows close enough to my readings that I am confident in them.
Temperature correction. My shop is at 52 degrees right now. The other day I got a Mitutoyo blade mic in the mail. I opened up the box and it was off almost .002 from zero. After 20 minutes it warmed up to room temperature, around 70 degrees. It was only off 1 tenth. So, leave a little fudge factor in the numbrs I gave you. What you are making is not critical. Please send a picture of your ball turner when finished and any dimensions.

Good Luck!! Charles

No apologies needed, checked with PM and they reported: They changed it last year, stating that its more stable and rigid without the T Slots.
Mine depicts the latest updated version.
Regards,
Steve

Wonder if the new cross slide will fit the older versions? I don't use the cross slide t slots at all. Thanks Charles

George Rolet, you might want to check and see what you are getting.

Back