PM-1236 Engine Lathe Owner's Manual

Forgot about the "Engine Lathe Owner's Manual" that came with my PM-1236... not a fan of paper manuals... not being able to search is a huge drawback. Out of curiosity I went online and found an "almost" dead ringer to mine in a fully editable PDF format. I'm betting this was the basis for our manuals.

The file is the Owners Manual for an Axminster CQ6230A-2 910 Metal Turning Lathe, although the download filename is "953449_manual.pdf" All that needs done is to compare the paper manual to the PDF and update the PDF accordingly. It looks as though the number of changes would be very minimal. I thought some others might be interested enough to make the necessary corrections so it could be made available to everyone. Although another thought would be to contact PM to see if they already have it in PDF format.

All of the manuals for PM machines are posted in PDF format on their web site by opening the + Manuals pull-out at the bottom of the page for the specific machine:

screenshot_137.jpg

It is nice to have the manuals and yes many of these machines are almost identical. However, when I was trying to figure out the gear ratios so that I could make a complete TPI table for all possible gears of my 1440GT I found that the parts page, similar to the one you posted, of the gears are commonly nonsense. That was certainly the case for the 1440 and I think the statement also applies to the 1236, but at least the 1236 and 1340 has a Norton gear box which simplifies this considerably.

By the way, you can make a LOT (1620 of them) of different TPI values and feed rates with your lathe and its external gears which are not all listed in the manuals. I included the 1340 lathe model in my Excel Workbook/spread sheet (which has the same gear box as the 1236) which I posted here:
TPI Feeds X-Feeds: Generalized Excel file for your Lathe

You can even play with the spread sheet set up if you were to add more external gears. You can also look for close approximations to an odd ball TPI (Imperial or metric) and find set ups which are sometimes extremely close approximations to the desired TPI, but not quite exact.

In case you are interested in having them. Attached are three examples of the print outs that can be generated from the spread sheet using the standard external gears. One (TPI PM1340GT-1236 M421_1443 M921.pdf) is from the spread sheet being used to list the possibilities where they are sorted in increasing TPI order. However you can sort on any column. Another (TPI PM1340GT-1236 M421_1443 MA25.pdf) is using the search macro to find a specific TPI approximation to 11.5 TPI. The spread sheet search found a possible TIP of 11.51575. So is an error of 0.1575 out of 11.5 seems pretty insignificant! The last attachment (TPI PM1340GT-1236 unsorted M421_1443 M921.pdf) is the what the spread sheet generates before sorting or without searching. So here the lines are in the order of how the spread sheet runs through all of the possible gear arrangements. Clearly a little more difficult to find a particular TPI value, but is easier to see what values you can make with the current external gear set up that you have installed.

PS. The uwReadMe sheet of the work book is the instructions on how to use it and the macros that do the sorting etc.

Dave L.

Attachments

• TPI PM1340GT-1236 M421_1443 M921.pdf
    233.2 KB · Views: 36
  • TPI PM1340GT-1236 M421_1443 MA25.pdf
    208 KB · Views: 38
  • TPI PM1340GT-1236 unsorted M421_1443 M921.pdf
    229.5 KB · Views: 29
Back