PM 1236 MagXact DRO

Old96er

Registered
Registered
I decided to install a MagXact to a regular PM-1236 (Not the PM-1236T). Even though it is not listed for the PM-1236, there are a few reasons I went this route.
1. It was in stock (the glass scales version that is a regular PM-1236 option is on back-order at the moment.)
2. I prefer the DRO display with rubber buttons and die cast case. Also the magnetic scales are pretty easy to cut to change the length for a custom fit.
3. It was only C-note more expensive than the glass scales version.

I have all the scales mounted and they work perfect in my quick tests vs a tenths indicator. I may make a thread with some tips if there is interest, took some time but not really difficult.

The current plan is to attach the display to the side of electrical housing with the display hovering over the head stock. The real question I have is routing the read head cables back to the display. It appears that the obvious way is through a gap in the chip shield at the head stock end, fairly close where the motor is. I am not finding many pictures to show the cable routing, I did see some that show plastic chain cable channel, but that was a pretty big lathe. There are some pictures of cables going over the chip shield, that seems like "ok" solution but not very attractive. Also some pics of the display mounted to the carriage directly, which seems to make more sense in a really long lathe and would relieve any issues with cable management, it seems weird to me though. Anyway, open to ideas here.

Attached a pic of the cross slide scale and read head, the fit is very nice. Note that the carriage is drilled and tapped for a stop bolt for the tail stock using a nyloc for the jam nut. The last thing I want is the tail stock smashing the new DRO!

Read Head.PNG

I decided to install a MagXact to a regular PM-1236 (Not the PM-1236T). Even though it is not listed for the PM-1236, there are a few reasons I went this route.
1. It was in stock (the glass scales version that is a regular PM-1236 option is on back-order at the moment.)
2. I prefer the DRO display with rubber buttons and die cast case. Also the magnetic scales are pretty easy to cut to change the length for a custom fit.
3. It was only C-note more expensive than the glass scales version.

I have all the scales mounted and they work perfect in my quick tests vs a tenths indicator. I may make a thread with some tips if there is interest, took some time but not really difficult.

The current plan is to attach the display to the side of electrical housing with the display hovering over the head stock. The real question I have is routing the read head cables back to the display. It appears that the obvious way is through a gap in the chip shield at the head stock end, fairly close where the motor is. I am not finding many pictures to show the cable routing, I did see some that show plastic chain cable channel, but that was a pretty big lathe. There are some pictures of cables going over the chip shield, that seems like "ok" solution but not very attractive. Also some pics of the display mounted to the carriage directly, which seems to make more sense in a really long lathe and would relieve any issues with cable management, it seems weird to me though. Anyway, open to ideas here.

Attached a pic of the cross slide scale and read head, the fit is very nice. Note that the carriage is drilled and tapped for a stop bolt for the tail stock using a nyloc for the jam nut. The last thing I want is the tail stock smashing the new DRO!

View attachment 386887
I ended up going for kind of a hybrid, using a drag link but in a different way than usual. I did not have enough room to run it on top of the guard that was on the scale and I wanted to run the power for the LED light through it as well, so no more cords in the chip pan at all. I don't use the flood coolant so I just covered the hole but adding it back would not be hard, just drill a hole in that plate. For the light, I wanted to use a smaller armor cable and I had a spare from an old DRO scale that I had replaced on my mill. So, I stuffed a couple 16 awg wires through it and ran it to a junction box where it connects to the factory BX style cable, which would have been too short to use with this drag link setup anyway. Everything works great, I cut the plug end off the cord and am running the DRO on 240V from the factory control box so I don't have another cord running to the lathe.
DRO_1.PNG

DRO_7.PNG

DRO_2.PNG

DRO_3.PNG

DRO_4.PNG

DRO_5.PNG

DRO_6.PNG

Attachments

• DRO_2.PNG
    DRO_2.PNG
    891 KB · Views: 122
  • DRO_3.PNG
    DRO_3.PNG
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Nice job. I too am a fan of using a drag chain for the DRO cables.
Thanks David! I did look at your build before doing mine and I considered flip flopping the read head and spacing the scale off like you did, but it seems like my chip pan is a bit more cramped than your 1340GT. Your custom lathe is awesome by the way, truly inspiring!

Back