PM-1236 Tool Post Removal

freeqgeek

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone... Long time lurker who finally purchased his first lathe and have what I am certain is a completely cherry question to ask. But for the life of me I can't figure this out, so here I am.

I am attempting to swap out the tool post that came preinstalled on the lathe with the QCTP that I purchased from Precision Matthews. I loosened the top nut, pulled the tool post off, unscrewed the bolt, and am left with a nut in the bottom of the top slide that wont come out. There is some type of spring loaded indent that I have fiddled with, turned, pressed, etc that is clearly holding the nut in and preventing it from sliding out. No matter what I try it simply won't come.

Am attaching a photo here for reference. I know I am going to feel sheepish when someone points out how simple it is to remove. But after an hour and a half making an attempt I am final here to ask for help.

IMG_0963.jpg

The spring loaded detent to the left of the round nut in the pic is for indexing of a 4 way tool post. It probably has nothing to do with removing the nut, and the new tool post can just push down on it. If you go farther to the left in the photo, over the end of the compound rest there may be a set screw or two on the end face of the casting, pushing inward on the nut to hold it from slipping out when the tool post is loose. My 13x40 lathe has two of them. Grub screws.

Thanks Bob!

I went down to take another look at it and it turns out I was simply over complicating matters. I figured that since it was spring loaded you must push it down to slip the nut in and out. Instead I just grabbed the top of it and pulled it straight up and out. As promised I am feeling quite sheepish...

You are absolutely correct that it is there for indexing the original tool post. So I just need to determine if it is still necessary for the new QCTP, then I am off and running. I installed the QCTP and it seems to function properly. But I will hit up Matt with an email or phone call on Monday just to be certain.

Thank you for such a quick response. That was amazingly fast :)

I haven't touched a lathe or mill since junior high school some 30 years ago. So I am essentially new at this. I have a lot to learn...

Thanks Bob!

I went down to take another look at it and it turns out I was simply over complicating matters. I figured that since it was spring loaded you must push it down to slip the nut in and out. Instead I just grabbed the top of it and pulled it straight up and out. As promised I am feeling quite sheepish...

You are absolutely correct that it is there for indexing the original tool post. So I just need to determine if it is still necessary for the new QCTP, then I am off and running. I installed the QCTP and it seems to function properly. But I will hit up Matt with an email or phone call on Monday just to be certain.

Thank you for such a quick response. That was amazingly fast :)

I haven't touched a lathe or mill since junior high school some 30 years ago. So I am essentially new at this. I have a lot to learn...
I have very similar lathe yes tbe dentent just lifts out then you can slide the nut out .My new quich change i had to machine up the plate as when i got it it was just a piece of plate with a threaded hole in it for the bolt .i used my mill to make it into a large tee nut to slide into were the original came out of .I never re fitted the detent as not needed

Welcome aboard. Great folks here so don't hesitate with any question at all.
Among those who have gone before you, some have milled the new QCTP blank to make a T nut out of it. Others (without a mill) have simply turned a new DIY bolt to fit the existing T nut (that will slide in the slots easily once the indexing detent parts are removed from the compound slide).
PS you are gonna love using a QCTP.

Thanks Moper361 and Tozguy.

I don't know how many hours I spent on this site researching machines before pulling the trigger on the PM-1236. Then countless hours more reading the PM specific and beginner machinist boards. Months... I decided to purchase the 1236 in September, finally put my money where my mouth was first week of December, and it showed up on Friday this last week. Took three of us six hours along with a pair of engine hoists to rig it into my little shop...

The unit is all cleaned up, at least from a packing grease perspective. First impressions for that weren't good. Lots of paint overspray, especially on the dials. I am going to need to work on those a bit so that all of the hash marks and numbers show clearly. There was also a lot of metal grit in the machine. I took the top slide off to clean surfaces and found quite a bit of metal in the mechanics that let the unit turn. The cross slide seems stiff as well, so I am debating taking that apart to clean it. Not sure how that comes off, so I guess that will be my next adventure this afternoon. In the meantime I am heading to the electrical supply house to find a sturdy enough switch to wire this to at the wall.

Thanks again for all the help :)

I'm excited for you. Sounds like you are having lots of fun. All the cleaning, adjusting and improving of my lathe was part of the learning process and gave me confidence in it. Being familiar with the workings of a machine we will not hesitate to dismantle any part of the machine if something needs attention.
There will some wearing in especially when it comes to adjusting the gibs. Making sure the dovetails and gibs are clean from the start is a good move.

I got a PM1236 last year, no over spray, but it does have the usual flaking paint here and there. My slides arrived loose, had to adjust them all right away. Check your adjustments first, yours may just have a overly tightened cross slide.

Mine was clean inside, very little grit. Getting it all lubed up with quality way oil made my compound smooth up. I wish I had changed the belts to high speed before I put the splash guard on, I find that I need the higher spindle speeds 99% of the time. So far so good, my PM1236 has been putting out some nice parts.

Back