[4]

PM 1236 VFD setup question

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

outsider347

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Thinking about a VFD setup for my 1236

Cost, of course is a big factor

Wondering if anyone that has made the upgrade can give me an idea what the cost will be.

I understand the operational benefits of this setup.

Tks for your responses Gents

ed

tweinke

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
MKSJ has some good posts on here about just what you want to do.

Dave Paine

Registered
Registered
One example thread by mksj. A good read.

Hitachi VFD upgrade for PM lathe

The cost depends on many factors, new vs used 3 phase motor, the VFD model, how much of the controls do you want to replace vs using the keypad on the VFD, whether you want to add a brake. Just some examples of the choices.

Muskt

Home Shop Tinkerer
Registered
Here are the numbers from when I did mine. I did not go the route of relays--my machine was pretty new, & the contactors seem to function quite well.
As mentioned above, MKSJ provided me with some hand-holding along the way--He knows his stuff!!
Here is a link to the thread I started about Surface Finish, & evolved into the VFD install. It is pretty long.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...6-long-post-kb-electronics-vfd-install.49178/

So, here is the breakdown of costs for this project:

Leeson 3 phase motor (192205.30)---------$213
KB Electronics VFD (inc shipping)----------- 269
KB Electronics IODA Board (required)------ 75
9 conductor shielded cable-------------------- 20
Power cable-------------------------------------- 23
Speed control pot + knob---------------------- 6
Aluminum (VFD mounting bracket)--------- 18

Best to you
Jerry in Delaware

Ray C

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Here are the numbers from when I did mine. I did not go the route of relays--my machine was pretty new, & the contactors seem to function quite well.
As mentioned above, MKSJ provided me with some hand-holding along the way--He knows his stuff!!
Here is a link to the thread I started about Surface Finish, & evolved into the VFD install. It is pretty long.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...6-long-post-kb-electronics-vfd-install.49178/

So, here is the breakdown of costs for this project:

Leeson 3 phase motor (192205.30)---------$213
KB Electronics VFD (inc shipping)----------- 269
KB Electronics IODA Board (required)------ 75
9 conductor shielded cable-------------------- 20
Power cable-------------------------------------- 23
Speed control pot + knob---------------------- 6
Aluminum (VFD mounting bracket)--------- 18

Best to you
Jerry in Delaware
FWIW, I've been running my PM1236 with the same Leeson motor listed above along with a Huang-Yang (sp?) cheapo VFD since 2012. The VFD frequency is limited between 40 and 65 Hz. The VFD is set for a 1.5 second ramp up and coast stop. The system has been flawless these last 6 years.

I believe I documented the process here but have no idea where that thread is anymore.

Ray

Cadillac

Registered
It kind of depends on a couple factors. Motor size being first. That dictates your ballpark on vfd prices.
I don’t see why you need a operator control panel from the vfd manufacturer? Once you wire your on/off,fwd/rev,jog if you’d like,and a potentiometer you don’t need to touch the vfd except to program. Waste
So you would need a 3p motor. See them all day on c.l. Brand new ? 250
Vfd mine is a teco Westinghouse which I would highly recommend to anyone. Goes from 0-120hz if I remember correctly. Only have mine going to 85hz which was recommended by tech as a “safe limit”. Great instructions. I’ve installed 3 haven’t had a glitch of problem going on 6yrs. Tech was American spoke English and found my fault the first time in minutes. For a 3hp vfd was 250-275.
Switches you can reuse your original in their original spot. Pot switch 5 bucks
Shielded wire I had but cheap maybe 10-15 dollars.
All in I would say 6-7 hundred. All I had to buy was a vfd and some fuses for vfd. If your interested I have ALOT of din mount fuse holders for a mini fuse. I use them on all my circuits they are nice a compact has a light on block to indicate blown fuse. I purchased like 50 from a auction and I don’t think I’ll be needing all so I’ll give for a bargain. I’ll throw in fuses if I have your size needed. image.jpg

Kiwi Canuck

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Thinking about a VFD setup for my 1236

Cost, of course is a big factor

Wondering if anyone that has made the upgrade can give me an idea what the cost will be.

I understand the operational benefits of this setup.

Tks for your responses Gents

ed

The cost will depend a few things,
If you use the lower cabinet to house your VFD then that saves a few $$ ($100 - $120)
If you need to buy a new 3 phase motor that could be $300 -$400, try Matt at QMT he maybe able to supply one for you.
Matt also sells the Hitachi VFD's I believe the they are about $300 ish for the 2HP lathes.
Misc, switches, fuses and wire etc. $100 -$200.
So expect to spend a minimum of $500 and as much as $900 depending on how creative you are.

It's a big learning curve and it's really satisfying once complete but it is not something quick or easy and I've only just finished my Mill which was a piece of cake compared to the lathe conversion which I'll start in a few weeks.

Good luck.

David

ddickey

It's a big learning curve and it's really satisfying once complete but it is not something quick or easy and I've only just finished my Mill which was a piece of cake compared to the lathe conversion which I'll start in a few weeks.

Good luck.

David
What enclosure did you use for the mill?

Kiwi Canuck

[6]
[5] [7]