PM-1236T/1340GT- how much oil in the quick change gearbox?

StevSmar

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So I’ve hunted around trying to find an answer to how much oil should I be squirting into the gallery of the PM-1236T/1340GT? I’ve yet to find any guidance.

I’ve been giving it maybe three squirts of my oiling can and as long as there is oil dripping into the chip tray I think I’m good. I made up a brass tube that I insert all the way in, and then slowly withdraw as I’m pumping the oilcan.

Can other’s comment on how they decide if they are oiling enough?

The other question is that the lathe came with grease on the gears. Should I be periodically replacing this with sticky grease? It seems like the oil will just dilute it and eventually slink it out.

(I’d love to have a one shot oiling system added, like I’ve seen done. Also, based on the descriptions of others on the possible issue of the tubes to the bearings being blocked, I was careful to make sure they were open and then I also give them a bit of a squirt from the outside…)

(I’ve also been thinking of getting either a marinade injector or an oiling syringe so I can give in to my need for anality regarding the quantity…:cower:)

I added felt wicks to the holes, leaving the ones for the bearings open, and squirt 3-4 pumps from my oil can in every hour or so of operation, or if I haven’t used it in a while, before starting for the day. The wicks let the oil spread and coat the bottom of the gallery, slowly letting the oil through and drip on the gears. You do not want to use grease, any chips that get in there will stick to the grease and eventually cause damage to the gears.

Attachments

• AE96C6D5-D883-4B49-B30B-39D853F9A8F3.jpeg
    AE96C6D5-D883-4B49-B30B-39D853F9A8F3.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 108
I added felt wicks to the holes…
That’s a great idea, it seems like it would work a lot better than the gauze the lathe came with.
You do not want to use grease, any chips that get in there will stick to the grease and eventually cause damage to the gears.
I hadn’t thought about the chips. That makes sense. I’ll clean it off this weekend!

The gauze did nothing, the oil went right through. A thicker gauze pad might work better, but I haven’t tried that. This slows it down enough that you get a slow drip and I think it coats the gears better, but time will tell. At least I don’t get a mess in the drip pan any long. The holes I believe are 5mm diameter, but I could only find 3/16” and 1/4” felt, the 3/16” was a bit loose in the holes, so I split the top so it would mushroom out and hopefully not fall through. Being in Canada, you might be able to find something in metric sizes that fits a bit better.

I have seen squarting a couple shots of oil in there each day that I use the lathe. I haven't used it much yet. I need to make a drip pan, I wonder way the lathe never came with one. It sure make a mess in the chip tray.

I'm with @StevSmar I would love to have a one shot system. I'll probably make one someday but I'm still pretty green at machining so it's not on the top of the list of things to do.

I need to up my oiling game apparently. I’ve only been oiling every few days of use.

The gauze did nothing, the oil went right through. A thicker gauze pad might work better, but I haven’t tried that...
I see McMaster Carr has F10 felt which is for oil retention. Maybe that’s too thick though? Though if it’s soaked it’s eventually going to leak through.

My thought is that until I work out a system, I’ll put some paper towels below the quick change gearbox to see if oil is dripping evenly through, which should suggest all the gears are getting evenly.

I sure wish these were oil bath gears…
Being in Canada, you might be able to find something in metric sizes that fits a bit better.
It’s still tougher to buy metric items in Canada, imperial tends to be the off the shelf standard. I’ve found a Canadian company who sells felt…

I see McMaster Carr has F10 felt which is for oil retention. Maybe that’s too thick though? Though if it’s soaked it’s eventually going to leak through.

My thought is that until I work out a system, I’ll put some paper towels below the quick change gearbox to see if oil is dripping evenly through, which should suggest all the gears are getting evenly.

I sure wish these were oil bath gears…

It’s still tougher to buy metric items in Canada, imperial tends to be the off the shelf standard. I’ve found a Canadian company who sells felt…
I used the F1 round felt. I didn’t time it, but takes several hours to fully drain the reservoir, that allows the oil to fully spread out and reach each hole. I tested this by making a test drip pan with several of the same size holes as the one on the lathe and when I checked the next day, all the wicks were wet and was apparent oil was coming from each. After using it on the lathe, all the wicks are working, but no way of telling if they are all getting the same amount of oil. The paper towel trick might work, but oil spreads quickly on the paper towel, so would need to keep an eye on it to judge relative amounts of oil drip.

The F10 flat felt will probably work as well, being bigger will hold more oil, but you might want to completely soak it the first time to make sure oil is coming through the holes and not just wetting the felt.

FYI, at the end of the day, a pump oiler system is pretty easy to make and about $75 in materials. When I had my 1340GT I also was fortunate to have a friend weld up a drip trey under the gears to catch the oil. Before that the oil would puddle under the gears and down the mounting bolt into the cabinet. I used silicone sealant on the base but not the bolt and the silicone leaked over time, when I put in the stiffening plates ont he top of the cabinets (these were the thinner original cabinets) I used and automotive sealant between the pan and lathe, as well as the bolt head washer.

PM-1340GT Oil Trey.jpg

Thanks Mark, I like the drip tray, I need to make one of those.

Back