PM-1236T Actual Dimensions / Footprint?

LooseNut

Registered
Registered
Hello! I'm in the process trying to decide on a PM lathe based on the space limitations of my shop....

Would someone be so kind as to give me dimensions / footprint of the actual chip pan for the PM-1236?

PM's website lists dimensions "with stand". However, it is not clear if the specs are referring to the lathe's footprint (IE chip pan) or the lathe's depth measured from the outer most edge of the handles, etc.

Additionally, could anyone owning the PM stand for this lathe give the actual dimensions? PM's website states "30 x 16 x 30 in" which doesn't appear accurate based on the photographs.

Thanks in advance! -Braden

The manuals show this information.

Looks like there isn't an actual manual for the PM1236T (refers to the PM1340GT)
Screenshot_20200227-142957.jpg

Screenshot_20200227-143055.jpg

The chip pan itself is 18" front to back and 65" wide.

The factory stand is 15.5" front to back (not including handles) and 61.5" wide.

For overall footprint, note that portions of the lathe extend beyond the chip pan. My PM-1236T is positioned 6.5" from the wall to the back side of the splash guard which puts the front of the chip pan at 29" from the wall.

MK

The manuals show this information.

Looks like there isn't an actual manual for the PM1236T (refers to the PM1340GT)
View attachment 314940

View attachment 314941
Thank you for this information! I honestly saw that the downloadable manual was for the 1340GT and didn't dig any further into reading it.

Based on this, it appears that the footprint is 65-1/2" x 22" and that the advertised depth of 29" likely includes the handwheels / levers. That's actually great news for me and my current space!

I would still greatly appreciate it if anyone with access to an actual PM-1236T could confirm the above dimensions.

The chip pan itself is 18" front to back and 65" wide.

The factory stand is 15.5" front to back (not including handles) and 61.5" wide.

For overall footprint, note that portions of the lathe extend beyond the chip pan. My PM-1236T is positioned 6.5" from the wall to the back side of the splash guard which puts the front of the chip pan at 29" from the wall.

MK

Would it be safe to assume I could push it closer to the wall and that the "overall footprint" you are referring to would include the handwheels / levers?

Basically, I'm hoping I can squeeze it into a 24 inch depth not counting the handwheels / levers.

I get 28.5" from the backside of the backsplash to the tip of the cross slide handle. The handle is about 3" long. Hand wheel is about 1/2" thick.

You won't want the backsplash actually touching the wall due to noise from vibration. And, you definitely want to be done with your electrical hook-up before you put the lathe in its final position -- probably won't have access to the inside of the electric box.

Putting the lathe in a submarine? ;-)

MK

I get 28.5" from the backside of the backsplash to the tip of the cross slide handle. The handle is about 3" long. Hand wheel is about 1/2" thick.

You won't want the backsplash actually touching the wall due to noise from vibration. And, you definitely want to be done with your electrical hook-up before you put the lathe in its final position -- probably won't have access to the inside of the electric box.

Putting the lathe in a submarine? ;-)

MK
That's what I wanted to hear! I'm actually trying to squeeze it into a garage that I built too small.... I want to be able to park (squeeze) a car by it (in front of it) when the hail comes hailing HA!

I believe I've got my answer know the direction I'm heading. Thanks to everyone who gave me info / specs!

-Braden

Reactions: Z2V
How about the offset between the front controls and the backsplash? I see 6.75" O.C. for the mounting holes but I can't visualize how far the backsplash is past the center of the far mounting hole or more importantly how far from the proximal edge of my bench I should want the centerline of the proximal mounting hole to be. Is the chip pan symmetrical along the centerline of the lathe?

No measurements in the PDF.

My base frame is 26.25" deep and I want to avoid wishing I had waited for the lathe to arrive before finishing it's construction.

Back