PM 1340GT Lathe (Next-Step) VFD Control System with Proximity Stop Update

Mark: The compliments are both sincere and warranted Mark. By the way I have ordered a 22mm pot as per below - does that change the specs for the face plate. Do you want the dimension (exact) of my existing cover plate?
Alex

101ECX2300-5K
Potentiometer, 5k ohm, 22mm, black. Legend plate ECX2640 purchase...
Made in ITALY HS: 8536.50EA$36.50$36.50101ECX2640
Legend plate, plastic, black field, black background, white engra...
Made in ITALY HS: 8536.50EA$3.50$3.50

My previous designs for VFD control systems have been posted, and I have been building pretty much the same design for about a year. I have made iterative design changes based on the requests of other hobbyists, so each system is tweaked a bit for each individual's preferences. The latest changes included a 3 way coolant selector so one can either choose continuous or intermittent (only with spindle rotation) coolant, variations on using a coolant relay/contactor/voltage source, different braking pattern selections, use of plug and socket connects for the front control panel and proximity sensor cable, Jog Joystick, and a few other changes. The only lathe control box terminal connections are for the spindle cable and 12/24VDC power for tach, lights, etc.
It has been a while, but I added Marks' system to my lathe out of the box when I bought the lathe. He actually delivered the system which detailed instructions before the lathe arrived. I was VERY intimidated about altering the machine but since I bought a 3 phase lathe, I was kind of stuck doing it and using Marks' system was the best choice I could make.
The front panel is very professionally done, and I love the fact that the jog switch is more like a joystick than a toggle switch. It has a great tactile feel. I have not installed flood coolant, but it is ready to go it I decide to someday, for now I am just using a cheap Chinese mist type coolant that works well for everything I have built so far.
Things I could still do to improve the system really come down to tweaking the VFD to brake faster. It is pretty good now, but I am pretty sure with a little tweaking it could be better. Currently the head stops in less than a 1/4 rotation at slow speed, but at higher speeds it takes a bit longer than I'd like. This is 100% my fault for not playing with the VFD parameters.

Been a while since I posted any update on this system design, there have been quite a few installs of this lathe replacement control system and I have not heard of any issues or problems. I did recently revise the wiring design which is now very similar to what I build for the 1440GT and also larger lathes like the 1440/1640 Sunmaster models. On the smaller lathes I am still using the Hitachi WJ200 VFD which has been very solid and overall the reliability has been very good. Higher end builds I had been using the Yaskawa V1000 and GA500, but there is now a 4-6 month delay in availability, as well as significant price increases. The other change I have made for the bigger lathes is to go to a 30mm proximity sensor which increases the sense range from 12mm to 15mm, they are shielded sensors so can be flush mounted. The other addition is a chip shield over the proximity sensor as random chips flying by the sensor can trigger it.

This is a recent system for a PM-1236T lathe, I had a request to add a tachometer and a spider. The spider is 1045, I core it with an annular cutter and then bore it with a carbide poring bar. There is a clamp on bracket for the tachometer sensor.
Lathe Control System 1.jpg

I am currently using FMX relays, these have built in suppressor diodes to prevent the voltage spikes when the coils release. I use a WEG mini contactor for the coolant circuit, by default it is wired for a 24VDC air solenoid, but can also be wired for 120/240VAC for a pump coolant suystem. I also use a schottky diode at the 24VDC voltage input, this also provides protection if someone connects the power supply wire reversed.
Lathe Control System 2.jpg

Hey Mark, thanks for all the work you have shared over the years, it is helping me immensely . Do you have an updated diagram for this version using the FMX relays on the PM1340gt?

FMX relays are no different then those from Automation Direct, I switched to them due to availability and they include a diode suppression inro the relay. AD relays and sockets have limited availability for the last 1 to 2 years. I no longer been posting my current designs, as well as they differ based on the VFD manufacturer.

Back