PM-1440 GT or HVT-2??

KSPryan

Registered
Registered
Hey all,

First time poster, long time creeper.

I'm ready to buy a new machine and was settled on the GT until recently researching VFD setups I came across the HVT model.

Any insight into the difference between these 2 machines, other than the factory VFD of course?

What would be the advantage of one over the other?

I know the cast HVT weighs more, which I view as a positive.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,

Please be a lurker on here, not a creeper. Two different things ;)

The machines look similar so for me, knowing I'd want variable speed, I'd go for the HVT.

Heavier is better.

John

Looks like both are on backorder so if lead time is important that would be a consideration. Also, I'd want the cast iron base with it.

Give them a call and check availability.

John

I did not see the bed width for the GT, HVT-2 is 9".

The bed on the 1440GT is the same as the 1340GT which is 7-9/16" wide. The HVT-2 is a more substantial machine, but can not be delivered via lift-gate.

If you are looking at going with a 3 phase lathe between these two, my recommendation would be to go with the PM-1440HVT-2. They use a high quality VFD, the motor is designed to operate over a wider speed range, and it is also a larger motor to cover the wider speed range. The steel base version should be fine, and it does indicate that lift gate is available, which greatly simplifies delivery. That being said, these lathes are very top heavy and can easily tip over if your are not careful. This happened to another forum member recently with pretty much the same lathe. I know at least a dozen people that have bought this model (albeit from PM and Eisen) and they have been very happy with it. It is the same manufacturer as the 1340/1440GT, which are very well made. Have a bit more heft and size is a plus, yet it is not too big that things like chucks are still manageable. PM/QMT version does have the 2" spindle bore which is nice vs. the Eisen 1440EV. I do a lot of VFD installs, and in most cases I recommend going with the factory installed VFD if available. At the end of the day I tell people you will spend as much doing a custom install, as you would going with the factory one, and pretty much turn key operation.

If you need a heavier lathe there is the 1440TL from PM, and number of other lathes to consider, but more money (16-20K) and cannot be delivered with a lift gate.

The HVT-2 looks like a nice machine. I certainly like my PM1440GT.

The proximity stop, commonly added to the custom VFD conversions, is a really nice feature to have. In concept one maybe able to add this to the HVT-2 .... I do not see it discussed on the PM site about the lathe so assume it is not built in. Unfortunately, the lathe manual is not available yet, which if were, might indicate how difficult it would be to add. The site also does not mention a VFD electronic brake capability, but this maybe a built in feature to the VFD. When you talk to PM ask them the model of the VFD that is used so that you can look up the manual for it. I would like to know.

It is interesting to compare the shipping weights and costs of the 1440GT vs the HVT-2 . I assume the steel bases are about the same if not identical. The Cast Iron base adds some weight and cost. If you ever want to drill holes or weld to the base I would rather do it in the steel base. Looks like the cast iron base adds about 400-500# and of course adds to the shipping and makes it more difficult to get delivered.

However, I see you, @KSPryan , are in the Pittsburgh area so you maybe able to talk PM into delivering the machine to you via their long trailer. I live in the Pittsburgh (City) and they delivered my 1440GT as well as my PM940M to my house. In fact, I would look forward to meeting another local HM member/machinist. If you have not visited the PM facility you should. Matt has put together a nice place and I am sure they would give you a tour. If you want to see my 1440GT we can probably arrange something. At least you can see one of the machines since they are on back order. Likewise, if you would like to see or talk about my VFD conversion.

Mark is correct about having a working VFD out of the box. It takes some time to built and install a custom VFD conversion. But if you are a Hobby guy rather than making a living with your machines that may be ok.

Dave

I just got the HVT with the cast bed. Very very nice machine. It is heavy but nothing like my PM1660. The 1440 I unloaded with my skidsteer. I would guess around 2000 pounds. I wished they would come out with the manual. I had to wing it on the machine. Very very smooth. Love the variable speed. After leveling and adjusting the bed and rail stock the runout between the headstock and tailstock is at 0.0002” in 24” of travel. It’s super quiet running. Cutting my first chamber with it tomorrow after setting up a DRO on my tailstock. I ordered it first of September and they shipped it middle of October.

It looks like the same gear box as are on the PM1440GT. I suspect that there are other mechanical similarities. So you might trying looking at that the 1440GT manual. I suspect that many parts of it are the same as you would find in the HVT.

Since the gear box levers appear to be identical, you may want to grab my Workbook for finding all the possible threads via the choice of gear levers and external gears. The Workbook is set up to allow one to customize it for almost any lathe, but I did it for the 1440GT first.

The latest version is https://www.hobby-machinist.com/attachments/tpi_manylathesrev1-nb06_2023-zipped-zip.465427/

Hi Folks,
Comments regarding experiences, additions, improvements made etc. about this project/Workbook would be appreciated.

Nov. 6 2023 Excel workbook file name: TPI_ManyLathesRev1 NB06_0054.xlsm

Dave L.

I have the manual for this lathe, but too big to post here (18.8MB), if you PM me your email address (do not post here), I can email it to you. It is quite a bit different then the 1440GT, but same manufacturer. Distributors may have their machines customized to their specifications (2" spindle, D1-5 mount, etc.).

Back