PM 1440 GT spindel delfection

Try it with the indicator base stuck to the headstock instead of the cross slide.

On the cross slide, you may be measuring flex in the headstock rather than spindle movement. It may not seem like it should, but even thick metal flexes.

Last edited:
Or the put the indicator on the ways. .0004" seems like too much to me. Especially that close to the bearings.

HI if anybody out there has a 1440 GT, Im getting about .0004 deflection at the spindle if I grab it and push and pull, I trying to see if this is somewhat the same for others. If not, possible that the spindel bearings need a little more preload, has anybody ever attempted this?
I have the 1340GT and checked the spindle bearing runout by turning the spindle - not pushing/pulling. PM states "Guaranteed Run Out +/- .0001″ for ultimate precision." My 1340GT spindle runout is under .0001" - needle doesn't appear to even move on a Mitutoyo .0001" DTI when turning the spindle by hand. When I push/pull I get about .00005". In both instances the DTI was mounted to a Noga arm to the cross slide.

Back