PM 1440 TS lathe purchase

cgmaster

Registered
Registered
I am preparing to buy a 1440ts. Looking at the pictures it does not look like it has a chip pan. Does anyone have any experience with this lathe? Are there any gear or belt changes needed to reach any threading settings?

I plan to install or have the dealer install a VFD and ELecronica SW400 DRO.

I hope to have the lathe by early March. Has anyone experienced setup problems with this model lathe?

I mainly do gunsmithing and needed a lathe with short headstock and high precision. I also do some other general machine work every now and then if requested.

I don't see a 1440ts. Personally I prefer the PM 1340GT over most of the 14" machines there.
Dave

I looked and talked to Matt about both the 1440ET and the 1440TS, the 1440ET very, very closely and almost changed my order from my 1340GT but in the end couldn't justify the cost difference. They have the same spindle bore and bed width so basically a different style QCGB and an inch more throw over the bed and a few hundred more pounds of weight.

Very nice looking machines though. Matt told me that they were just a big brother to the 1340GT, same factory and same quality of fit and finish.

From my understanding the bed was wider on the 1440 ts? 9" compared to 7.5"

From my understanding the bed was wider on the 1440 ts? 9" compared to 7.5"

Yes, sorry, that is correct. The 1440TS and the 1440TV both have the 9" bed width, the 1440ET is the same as the 1340GT. The cost difference was quite a bit beyond my already blown to hell budget though at over 50% additional. They all three look like very nice high end lathes though.

If you can swing it, I don't think you would be dissapointed, especially if they are of the same quality as the 1340GT which I am very happy with.

Mike.

I have the 1440TS with the VFD and DRO installed by Matt. That is correct, there is no chip pan but it is quite easy to make one, I just have not got around to that yet. Set up went without issue if you can handle the 2600 lbs that this thing weighs. It is very well made, very rigid and the fit and finish is very good. The micrometer dials on the cross slide, compound and tail stock were too stiff to move with one hand. It was simple to disassemble and shorten the spring on the ball detents. The machine is very smooth and vibration free in all gears. It is great for the gunsmith. I made inboard and outboard spiders and can do barrels 20 inches in length. I would purchase this lathe again .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the 1440TS with the VFD and DRO installed by Matt. That is correct, there is no chip pan but it is quite easy to make one, I just have not got around to that yet. Set up went without issue if you can handle the 2600 lbs that this thing weighs. It is very well made, very rigid and the fit and finish is very good. The micrometer dials on the cross slide, compound and tail stock were too stiff to move with one hand. It was simple to disassemble and shorten the spring on the ball detents. The machine is very smooth and vibration free in all gears. It is great for the gunsmith. I made inboard and outboard spiders and can do barrels 20 inches in length. I would purchase this lathe again .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank you I have seen a few pics and the basic specs and it seems like it will be a good lathe. Do you have any pics of the back side of the spindle with the cover off? I am trying to plan how I am going to my rear spider and possibly an indexing attachment. I am also curious if there are any gear changes needed to get to any thread?

I am really looking forward to getting it. I sold my Rockwell 14" due to the fact I couldn't cut metric threads and within 2 days of selling it I ran into someone that could have made the change gears I needed to cut metric threads for under $500.

Personally I prefer the PM 1340GT over most of the 14" machines there.
Dave
Than I guess you haven't seen the 1440TS.

It is also made in Taiwan, and is not stamped from the mold of the typical Asian 12x36-14x40 machines. Significantly wider bed (9" vs 7"), significantly stouter, with a heavy one-piece cast iron base. This is the machine that the Grizzly G0506 should be!

I was on the fence on buying one, but saved the money for a cnc machine instead. I am sure that I will end up regretting not getting one.

20130621_142534.jpg

I don't know why Matt doesn't show this on his website.

20130621_142534.jpg

I don't know why Matt doesn't show this on his website.

When I was looking at these Matt told me he didn't have them on his website because the people that usually purchase these are industrial shops as they are overkill for the home/hobbyist/small business shops that frequent his website and therefore well beyond the budget of most so he doesn't like to complicate the decision making process. He said he will quote people on them when he feels that they are looking for more than his website displays.

When I was looking at these Matt told me he didn't have them on his website because the people that usually purchase these are industrial shops as they are overkill for the home/hobbyist/small business shops that frequent his website and therefore well beyond the budget of most so he doesn't like to complicate the decision making process. He said he will quote people on them when he feels that they are looking for more than his website displays.

I agree with your comment about 'overkill' for the hobbyist. Well, for most hobbyists anyway. But then there are always outliers... :)

Back