PM 1440 TS lathe purchase

I am going to give it a try when I get my lathe. I may get one of the cheap Chinese ones and try shortening the toolpost. the reason I want to stick with the CXA is that I have Dorian and DTM on my other lathe and have numerous holders.

I am going to give it a try when I get my lathe. I may get one of the cheap Chinese ones and try shortening the toolpost. the reason I want to stick with the CXA is that I have Dorian and DTM on my other lathe and have numerous holders.
The problem won't be the height of the toolpost, but the actual dimensions of the tool holders. If the tool holder is flush with the top of the compound slide, the stacked height made up by the thickness of material below the slot + the height of the tool bit could put you above centerline.

If you need to shorten something, it would be by facing 0.050" off the bottom of the tool holders.

But as I said earlier, for Type I & II tool holders (turning and boring) you should be okay. You would probably run into problem on tool holders for parting. Of course, I personally don't like parting with HSS blades, and use an Iscar indexable carbide parting/grooving tool bit in a Type I holder, which probably would work for you.

I can understand wanting to stick to one tool dimension. Tooling is expensive enough without buying everything twice. And the indexable tips that fit in a 5/8" tool bit are too small for a 3/4" tool bit, so you have to buy a whole different size of carbide tips.

tmarks11 speaking of which can you pm me a link to that Iscar parting tool?

tmarks11 speaking of which can you pm me a link to that Iscar parting tool?

I have the Iscar Do-Grip DGTR parting/grooving tool. This can't part anything with a diameter of greater than 1.3" (they make other models that handle greater diameters). I like it because it securely clamps the insert in place, it minimizes the amount of flexible thin blade that can chatter while cutting, and it fits in a normal #1 tool holder.

Some other indexible parting tools just slide the carbide insert in, relying on cutting pressure to hold it in place. I have seen a lot of broken holders of that type.

http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=557&mapp=TG&GFSTYP=M

557.gif

You can find the holders on Ebay for $40 or so, and inserts for $3-4 each.

Back