PM-1440GT Basic Wiring Changes for using the Contactors to switch the VFD inputs

Thanks Lucky Liverider!

It sounds like the basic installation is the way to go for me. I think the only thing I'm going to add is the potentiometer to take advantage of the VFD. Now, it's just a matter of figuring out if the 1440GT is the way to go.......decisions.

That wiring setup lookd complicated and on the lathe I am trying to fix looks the same. Haing trouble finding replacement contactors. Is it possible to use a VFD and no contactors ??
Thanks for sharing
Manny

Might not follow the question, is the issue that you have used contactors? If so they can replaced with any contactor that has the same switching configurations and the same coil voltage of 24VAC. You can replace them with a mini contactor if you are NOT going to use them for motor current. If you need the Teco replacement contactors they are available through Eisen and are about $50 each. Is this for a 1440GT that has been used or another lahte? This setup is not for new complete builds, but to use the stock control system and contactors to switch the VFD low level inputs.

Stock Teco CU-11 24V 3A1a is Normally Open, 3A1b is Normally closed
Teco CU-11 24V 3A1a, Normally Open, 3A1b Normally clsed.jpg

WEG Electric CWC series IEC miniature contactor, 7A, (3) N.O. power poles, 24 VAC (60Hz) coil voltage. (1) N.O. auxiliary contact included.

WEG Electric CWC series IEC miniature contactor, 7A, (3) N.O. power poles, 24 VAC (60Hz) coil voltage. (1) N.C.

I have posted other simple single relay 24VDC 4 pole designs that work with the WJ200 VFD. The design can be modified to use an external 24VDC power supply. In general not using a latching type relay to prevent restart with typical 2 wire control in various scenarios is very dangerous on machinery. On a mill one can use 3 wire control with momentary switches which can be used w/o a power latching relay. The configuration and programming parameters vary by VFD manufacturer.

A number of individuals have mounted the VFD in the headstock cabinet off of an L bracket with a mounting plate for the VFD. They have also added a main power disconnect switch in the cabinet. A braking resistor is mounted in the same cabinet. This can save a bit of the cost and space vs. adding a separate VFD cabinet, these were full builds where the VFD is mounted in the headstock cabinet. I have attached some updated basic install information for the 1440GT. You must comply with all electrical codes and manufactures recommendations, use this information at your own risk.
IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5889.JPG

Full system replacement boards.
IMG_5891.JPG

20200904_201503.jpg

Attachments

• PM1440GT Basic Wiring Changes for using the Contactors to switch the VFD inputs 23 DEC 2018.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 390
  • PM1440GT BASIC VFD PROGRAMMING USING THE STOCK CONTROL SYSTEM AND CONTROLS.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 248
Nice setup. Thanks for sharing and supporting this work.

Back