• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

PM-1660TL

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will document the details of how I set up the PM-1660TL that I have backordered for 10 weeks or more.

This will be my first 3 phase machine. I need to educate myself on how to power the machine from the 220V, 40A outlet which is located about 4 feet from the headstock.

This 220V outlet is currently used for my Miller welding machines. The outlet has two female receptacles (3 and 4 prong).

Our breaker box is 100% full, so I cannot add another 220V outlet.

A YouTube video (which I will link to below) shows how to do this “on the headstock end”. This will get me a power cord, so I just need to plan the 220 3 phase to 220 single phase.

Last edited:

erikmannie

I am also ordering the taper attachment. I am curious if this will fit in between the ways and the backsplash.

The machine comes with an 9” 3 jaw chuck. Precision Matthews offers a 10” 4 jaw chuck in the options. This is my third order with PM, and they have never let me down. Unless I hear otherwise, I will choose their 10” 4J.

Last edited:

erikmannie

This YouTuber made my day with his PM-1640TL videos. I will probably watch all of those videos about 20 times each.

erikmannie

The logical location in my 2 car garage for the lathe is on the street side of the garage, close to where the automatic garage door rolls down and parallel to the street.

Hopefully nobody in my family will run a car into the garage door because that would not help the lathe.

This location will be an easy install as far as the forklift is concerned. Speaking of which, my plan for that is to rent a forklift (I am certified for the specific forklift at work). If they won’t rent me a forklift, I will have to hire a rigger. There is a company in my area named Precision Crane. That would be the easiest job that they have ever had, although my driveway does have a slight slope.

erikmannie

In order to afford this machine, I had to give up my future plans to attend vocation school AND get a personal loan for 60% of the order total, the APR of which is a whopping 22.9%. This was obviously an impulsive, wasteful financial plan.

There is not currently room in the garage for anything new, much less this 110” long machine. I have to move out my last workbench (I moved the first bench out when I got my 10” lathe).

Additionally, I have to move out all of my bicycles in order to keep my welding table in the garage. Never mind the fact that the welding table no longer be anywhere near the 220V outlet.

erikmannie

Finally (for now), I would like to keep my PM-1030V lathe because it has never caused me a single problem. I would be very interested in justifications for having two lathes in a hobby shop.

The only reason that I would let it go is to free up valuable shop space. The PM-1030V is bolted to the ground, so I drilled into the concrete floor. Clearly, I wasn’t thinking ahead so much.

benmychree

John York
Powering the 3 phase would probably be best solved with a frequency drive unit, you likely would not need to use the variable frequency feature, but it would be quiet, unlike RPCs and give you smooth starts and full horsepower.

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just me, but I never buy anything I can't pay cash for, and 23% interest in my opinion is just nuts. I just bought a 1940 Sidney lathe in very nice condition, with a taper attachment, 3 jaw, and 2 four jaw chucks, 16.5" swing, 4500#, for $1700. To me the whole idea of having these machines is to learn to make, and repair things. Why not find a well maintained, used quality machine, and save yourself a whole lot of money, and maybe learn some useful things in the process. Your money, jmho. Mike

mksj

Active User
I installed a control system and helped my friend setup his Acra 1640 which is the same model lathe. Easy move with a fork lift under the base, I also used a forklift to get mine into the garage. Might look through his thread below. I have mounted my last two lathes near the garage door facing in, when running power to the machine I use 4 wire and breakout 120VAC at the machine. It is an impressive lathe and QMT version has a larger spindle bore in their version. Chucks are very heavy, but TIR was almost not measurable. I had considered it but was just too big and heavy for my needs.

erikmannie

Powering the 3 phase would probably be best solved with a frequency drive unit, you likely would not need to use the variable frequency feature, but it would be quiet, unlike RPCs and give you smooth starts and full horsepower.
I’m so glad that I inquired here! I definitely need it to be as quiet as possible because my neighbor is an epic whiner.

So a frequency drive unit is more quiet?

erikmannie

I installed a control system and helped my friend setup his Acra 1640 which is the same model lathe. Easy move with a fork lift under the base, I also used a forklift to get mine into the garage. Might look through his thread below. I have mounted my last two lathes near the garage door facing in, when running power to the machine I use 4 wire and breakout 120VAC at the machine. It is an impressive lathe and QMT version has a larger spindle bore in their version. Chucks are very heavy, but TIR was almost not measurable. I had considered it but was just too big and heavy for my needs.
That was a really helpful link to the Acra 1640 thread. I had seen very similar machines from different manufacturers, and I will be researching the Acra 1640 extensively.

There is another Pacific Rim manufacturer who sells the same machine: Sun Master.

I agree that borrowing $12,000 for five years at 23% APR is completely stupid.

Last edited:

erikmannie

Not to start a whole conversation about it, but I had a nightmarish personal tragedy in my family a few days before I bought this machine. For better or worse, I needed some mental relief. This lathe has been my dream machine. I don’t have any interests other than metalworking.

ddickey

That was a really helpful link to the Acra 1640 thread. I had seen very similar machines from different manufacturers, and I will be researching the Acra 1640 extensively.

There is another Pacific Rim manufacturer who sells the same machine: Sun Master.

I agree that borrowing $12,000 for five years at 23% APR is completely stupid.
Sun Master is the manufacturer. I have one and it's a very nice machine.

ddickey

Mark, I think Paco got the RML 1640 which has a 2" spindle bore but the TL 1640 which appears to be what QMT is importing has a 2.55" spindle bore.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

matthewsx

Not to start a whole conversation about it, but I had a nightmarish personal tragedy in my family a few days before I bought this machine. For better or worse, I needed some mental relief. This lathe has been my dream machine. I don’t have any interests other than metalworking.
Erik,

You won't regret buying the lathe, I think most of understand how this hobby can be a refuge from the storm. Stay strong my friend....

John

ddickey

Yes, I do not have one although I would really like to get one in the future. I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of them installed fitting nicely with the back splash in place. I would think for that quality of machine it would most definitely fit.

erikmannie

I wonder why the PM-1660TL has a reducing sleeve in the through spindle.

It might have something to do with the fact that the PM machine has a 2.55” through spindle. The other manufacturers appear to have a through spindle just over 2” (e.g. 2-1/16”).

With the aforementioned reducing sleeve, the PM-1660TL has an MT4 at both the tailstock & spindle.

At least one of the other similar machines discussed has an MT6 taper at the spindle (and MT4 on the tailstock).

ddickey

I wonder why the PM-1660TL has a reducing sleeve in the through spindle.

It might have something to do with the fact that the PM machine has a 2.55” through spindle. The other manufacturers appear to have a through spindle just over 2” (e.g. 2-1/16”).

With the aforementioned reducing sleeve, the PM-1660TL has an MT4 at both the tailstock & spindle.

At least one of the other similar machines discussed has an MT6 taper at the spindle (and MT4 on the tailstock).
Looks like it has a very odd taper. TS is MT4. HS is P70mm taper. I'm to tired to search for more info tonight.

erikmannie

I ordered the factory installed DRO. I really hope that the taper attachment and DRO scale don’t interfere with one another.

erikmannie

I am definitely going to put a QCTP on this. I wonder if this will be BXA or CXA.

erikmannie

Looks like it has a very odd taper. TS is MT4. HS is P70mm taper. I'm to tired to search for more info tonight.
All of the tailstocks that I’ve seen on these types are MT4. This appears to be universal.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock