PM-30MV fuse issue, read if you have this mill

JCByrd24

Registered
Registered
Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience with the fuse rating in this mill. Shortly after receiving the mill I was experimenting with a 2.5" face mill and lost power. I checked the fuse and sure enough it was blown. Examining the fuse it was a tiny 5 amp glass fuse. It quickly dawned on me that 5 amp seemed pretty light for a 240V machine, why didn't they make it 10A on 120V. Doing some quick math, sure enough 5A doesn't supply the rated 1.5kW a 240V even at 100% efficiency. I turned to the manual and found both 12A and 10A ratings referred to and so ordered some 10A fuses from Amazon, I couldn't find them locally. These have been fine ever since, though I haven't used the mill much. I noticed however the the latest revision of the manual in one or more locations changed the fuse rating to 5A. I called PM and verified this was incorrect, but I don't know if they've re-updated.

More importantly, your mill doesn't come with spares, they may not be available locally, and very likely your mill may have shipped with a fuse rated at half what it should be, so it's gonna trip at some point.

Good stuff! What size did they recommend and so you have a link you can provide for the correct fuses?

Great, thanks again, this should help people out for the future. My machine is still on the way, but now I'm curious what it will have in it

Back