• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

PM 5/8" ULTRA PRECISION KEYLESS DRILL CHUCK

dfwilbanks

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Mine has a burr or chip in it and needs to be disassembled for cleaning. Had anyone removed the hood from one of these? I'm thinking a strap wrench and right hand threads like Jacobs.

Thanks in advance, David

dfwilbanks

H-M Platinum Supporter
Mine has a burr or chip in it and needs to be disassembled for cleaning. Had anyone removed the hood from one of these? I'm thinking a strap wrench and right hand threads like Jacobs.

Thanks in advance, David
It's the R8 version.

dfwilbanks

H-M Platinum Supporter
You could just contact PM and have it replaced. I have both the small and large keyless: two for my mill, and two for my lathe. I am fortunate to not have had any trouble with mine.

Just a suggestion. :)
I could but I've seen several videos of Jacob chucks being opened and just need some conformation that this chuck is similar or "NO, DON'T DO IT" springs and ball will pop out in every direction. Lol

If nobody has done it then I'll put a reasonable amount of torque on it and if it doesn't move I'm done.

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just an FYI... I have numerous Albrecht chucks and the thread on the hood is standard, not reversed. I have no idea about PM chucks though.

I use a wooden block that is bored to the base (lower body) size and then split on my tablesaw. That block is then used in my vise to hold the body. A piece of brass is then wrapped around the hood and a pipe wrench is used to remove the hood. In the Albrecht, all of the balls are sitting in the bottom (towards the arbor) and will not come out until you tip it upside down, lol.
I have always thought of doing a write up or video of rebuilding an Albrecht chuck.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock