Pm 727m issues, help please!

Yea he is right, IF you dont have to move the head. But if im running a end mill, then have to switch to a drill chuck, guess what i have to lift the head which means i loose zero. Unless indicate the head in everytime you move the head the zero will shift. Having to indicate the head in everytime you make a tooling change would be frustrating, and you would have to have a bunch on really long indicator holders to tram X axis everytime. There has to be a fix for this. If i only knew what was causing it. Did you ever figure out what was causing this in your mill or what you did to fix the issue? I have had really good customer servise from PM so far, they are one of the only companies that dont treat me like a idiot when i call them. I have 2 years of machining technology schooling and numerous years in the workforce for machining, on both manual and cnc machines. So, when i call with a problem that means i have already tried everything they are about to tell me. I am hope full i will get an answer or a possible fix from PM. Matt is a great guy so im not worried yet, i just want to be able to use the Z axis without the headache.

Well, that conclusion I came to was on my own. They just said it was normal. But if you tram your head with it locked down, I would assume at any height you change it to, relock down, you should still be where ever you were as far as square. Are you saying the amount it shifts is different based on where you're located vertically?Mine seemed to always shift the same amount as long as I did the tightening procedure twice on each gib lock.

Yea, unless i have the gibs unlocked, then it seems to track ok. Its only when i lock the gib that throws the machine out.

Well, please let me know what you hear from PM. I'm guessing they say your machine is off UNTIL the gibs are locked tight....that that actually PUTS the machine into alignment.

Thats the problem, if this was the case i dont get why when trying to tram the head square that i cant get it to 0 in when indicatee in at 2 different positions in the Z axis when its locked down. I have a precision square coming, but i was fiddleling with it tonight and droped my brown & sharpe bestest indicator and broke the tip off. Its always something, now im gunna have to buy a new indicator before i can try this other method.

Did you get a video or some pix so we see what it is doing?
CH

Nope, i broke my indicator while running another test. Guess i learned my lesson, first and only indicator i have ever droped. I got into a hurry and it slipped right out of my fingers, droped onto my cement floor, broke the tip off and bounched about 4 times. After a few good words i picked it up put it on display and ordered another indicator. I try not to think about it to much, lol.

Still waiting for a responce from PM, but after hours with an indicator it took .025 worth of shims to bring the column up square left and right. Took another .010 if shims to lift the column up vertically. So now the column is "0" ONLY when the clamps are tight. The head its self still has .005 of nod, and after traming the head to the table there is still error in the X axis, 1" is 0, 2" is .005, 3" is .008 and keeps going up as the head moves up. The spindle travel also has .005 of angle deflection as you turn the handle. Having to shim so much leads me to believe that i will loose to much of the rigidity of the machine. I think i am going to take the shims back out and say the heck with it.

Back