PM 728 VT or smithy MI-409MZ

55fairlane

Registered
Registered
Im not gonna re-hash the 728 seems to be a reputable machine, ect. (My first choice, for the cash I have to spend)

I found this
https://smithy.com/collections/manual-mills/products/mi-409m
Power to 5 inch quill, I can add DRO, I'm certain the collet set ect they offer you for free are very low quality, but give me your thoughts. Smithy showroom isn't but a couple hours away, with they power quill & table size this could be a great secret or just more junk, your thoughts?

Last edited:
The PM is probably more accurate, better built and has better spindle bearings but the Smithy is probably heavier duty being a basic RF-40 design (Rong Fu)
PM also has better service after the sale- much better
Trade-offs, trade-offs

Last edited:
I had a Charter Oak 9x40 years ago. Similar mill, from appearances, but mine was VFD controlled, belt drive, 220v only.

I spent the better part of a year tuning it up, e.g., replacing leadscrews, bearings, scraping surfaces, adding DRO, one-shot oiling system, etc.. When I finally got it done, it was a monster. Way more rigid than a smaller mill, even more rigid than my PM935TS. Serious metal hogger.

While I have no direct experience with the Smithy, I suspect similar work would have to be done to get that level of performance and accuracy. YMMV of course.

Thank you all ! I'm still leaning towards the PM it has a good reputation. I'm not after a "monster" just a nice accurate mill to do light tool room/gunsmith/ model engine work

Thank you all ! I'm still leaning towards the PM it has a good reputation. I'm not after a "monster" just a nice accurate mill to do light tool room/gunsmith/ model engine work
I do a lot of custom pistolsmithing stuff on an old PM25 (I'd have a PM728VT if I could afford it). The 728 will work well if you stay within it's performance envelope. I use mostly 1/4" and 1/8" end mills. Some 3/8" end mills. The better quality end mills seem to last longer and produce better results than the cheap stuff. I like having coarse and fine 3/8" rougher (corncob) end mills for when I have to do serious stock removal like making compensators or magwells as they are easier on the milling machine.

Back