PM-728VT Stand

randale

Registered
Registered
I am adding a PM-728VT to my shop and trying to decide on ordering the PM stand or building a 24x36 steel table for holding the mill.

Need opinions re:

How stable is the OEM stand?

Does the stand need to be anchored in a concrete floor?

Thanks!

Randale

I would build the table. Quite frankly, nearly all of the stands for "benchtop" or similar mills are junk. Build your own, and then you can customize it. I built a very nice base for my 833T, which included space to place a tool chest for the necessary accouterments for the machine.
Either build the table as heavy as possible or bolt it to the floor. Weight is your friend.

There are many ideas on this forum for stands, bases and storage.

Here is one thread to get started.

Oh, and welcome to the best hobby machinist site on the net!

Thanks for the reply.

I was leaning towards the build vs buy option - unless someone said the stand is a work of exquisite art not to be missed...

Thanks for the welcome, too.

Randale

I would also say build a stand. The factory stands are not built very sturdy. yes it will hold the mill off the floor but isn't ridged enough.

I purchased the factory PM728VT cabinet, I didn't want to screw around building a stand.....I did have to do some work to make the cabinet "stout"
After having to add some ¾ aluminum plate & making "T" nuts the factory cabinet seems to be good to go.
You can see where there in no solid bearing surface for the machine feet or the bolt head. The steel metal deformed easily.......the plate made a world of difference.
If you buy a factory cabinet, be prepared to add these and you will be good to go
Resized_Resized_20240130_154825.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_154815.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_150021.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_154904.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20240130_155000.jpeg

Back