PM-833T/TV CHIP PAN/BASE question.

I'm 5' 8" and use the factory stand on my 833TV. I haven't found it too low.

I'm 5' 8" and use the factory stand on my 833TV. I haven't found it too low.
I'm 6' 3" when I stand up straight. Even some American made stands are a tad short for me. As a rule, Asians are smaller than Europeans. I have personally met several Chinese that were well over 6'. And dated a woman a long time ago that was 4' 10". Motorcycles used to give me fits. Asian bikes were too small, the only ones I ever rode that were halfway comfortable were a Harley FLH and a MotoGuzzi Eldorado. Both too short for my legs. My problem, they were built for an "average" size.

Any stand, chair, furniture, most any item built in Asia that is built for Asians will be too small for Europeans. It's a given. . . I make it a practice to fit whatever to my size needs. Maybe a shim under the legs, often a 2X4 sideways. I'm big, I accept it, I deal with it, no big deal. (no pun intended) Most any machine in a home shop will need adjusting for the individual using it. Often as a matter of safety, something as small as an inch can have bad consequences. A table saw being a prime example. Or a stationary router fixture. . . Anything that moves or has moving parts should be adjusted to the user.

One of the primary concerns with machine stands is that they be rigid. That they be rigid when moving, not just sitting square. Many "factory" stands are made to look good sitting on a showroom floor, but are next to useless for operating. Combined with the height issue can lead to a number of novel solutions. I have some machines with homebrew stands that are bolted steady to the floor. There are others, of Asian manufacture, that I have cut down a little because I wanted to sit while working with them. And others that are above normal height because of the type of work they are set up for. A concrete floor offers the optimal starting point. But, most importantly, they must not "wiggle" when working.

Just wanted to comment I Really like your lathe stand and workshop Davidpbest !
Very neat and efficient.

Here's what I did with my 833T:
I needed 2 features: mobility and added height (I'm 6'1).
Casters are Carrymaster ALCT-1000 from Zambus.com.
I placed neoprene pads underneath when I raised / leveled the mill. Suits me fine.
IMG_6726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6782.JPG
    IMG_6782.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_6765.jpg
    IMG_6765.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6766.jpg
    IMG_6766.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6767.jpg
    IMG_6767.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6795.jpg
    IMG_6795.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6796.jpg
    IMG_6796.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
Here's what I did with my 833T:
I needed 2 features: mobility and added height (I'm 6'1).
Casters are Carrymaster ALCT-1000 from Zambus.com.
I placed neoprene pads underneath when I raised / leveled the mill. Suits me fine.
View attachment 357674
Tx cowdoc, great looking mobile base. I was thinking of doing a very similar design and am glad I ran across your pictures. Did you use 4"x4" tubing? What wall thickness? Any changes you make if you had to do it again?

Back