PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Delivery Today

Congrats on your new machines Craig!

I'm wondering if you got the stand for your 1340GT from PM? If you did, I have a favor to ask as I have a 1340GT on order and would like to get some things done in advance.

I will be raising the lathe since I'm 6'1" and don't want to be stooping while working the hand wheels for hours while machining.

Could you tell me what the distance is from the base of the stand (no feet/levelers included) to the spindle center as well as the distance from the base to the center of the carriage hand wheel?

I contacted tech support at PM today, but they don't have the measurements.

Thanks!
Jake
Hi Jake,

I’m getting ~45” from bottom of cabinet (excluding leveling feet) to center of spindle and ~34 3/8” to the center of the carriage wheel. I’m about 5” shorter than you and everything feels like a good height to me. Leveling feet are probably adding another 1-2” to the numbers above.

cheers,
Craig

I have mine on PM's stand, leveling pads, and a 3/4" cushion pad fronting the lathe. I'm 6'2" inseam 31", the cross slide handle rotated up hits me in the belly button, and my hands fall pretty much at control lever height. My 1228 was on risers, and I could not sit down, I had to stand to see operations. I have a bar stool that I use, and can see a lot better now sitting, I still get up when things get close. Just sharing......

Hi Jake,

I’m getting ~45” from bottom of cabinet (excluding leveling feet) to center of spindle and ~34 3/8” to the center of the carriage wheel. I’m about 5” shorter than you and everything feels like a good height to me. Leveling feet are probably adding another 1-2” to the numbers above.

cheers,
Craig
Craig,
Thanks so much for taking the time to get those numbers to me, I very much appreciate it!

Craig,
Thanks so much for taking the time to get those numbers to me, I very much appreciate it!
My pleasure. And I forgot to confirm that yes, I do have the PM cabinet... the heavy duty upgrade.

My pleasure. And I forgot to confirm that yes, I do have the PM cabinet... the heavy duty upgrade.
Craig, I recently ordered the 1340GT.
Can you tell me if it's OK to block access to the back of the right pedestal? I want to push it against a wall.

I don't mean to be a party pooper but, I don't see any pics.
cday21, it is customary to post pics of set up equipment. Otherwise it could be considered just talk :)
You see, we are all very jealous.

Can you tell me if it's OK to block access to the back of the right pedestal? I want to push it against a wall.
You’ll have trouble leveling the lathe if you block access to that spot. My chip tray is a couple inches from a pole in my pole barn and getting wenches to the bolt is annoying.

Back