PM-833TV draw bar tightening question

fishingreg

Registered
Registered
On the TV model the splined shaft is below the opening on the top so there is little to no access, there are no flats or indents on the spindle to grab with a wrench. The only thing I can come up with is to hold the spindle best as possible with a strap wrench while tightening the draw bar. Is this what everyone is doing? I've had one end mill slowly walk out of the collet a bit and I suspect its because its not super easy to get it tight that way since its really hard to keep the spindle oil free and the strap wrench does not get a good grip. I suspect I could remove all oil every time I change a tool but that seems like a lot of extra work. I'm new to milling so maybe this is normal but it just seems like there would be somewhere to put a wrench to hold the shaft while you turn the drawbar... Am I missing something?

Thanks
Greg

That's what I found with mine, too. Even the instruction manual says you have to grab the spindle at the bottom or put it in a low gear which isn't available on the TV, only the T model.

I took the cover off the top that blocked the spline. It exposes the pulley and creates a bit of wind when running at high speed but it was the only way to stop the spindle from moving. After doing that for a while I use a cordless driver with a 21mm socket and I don't need to touch anything. The drill driver gets it plenty tight by the time the spindle starts to revolve. The draw bar is pretty darn long on mine with over 1.5" of thread engagement and it took quite a while with a wrench.

My Priest power draw bar was delivered today. I haven't yet checked, generally, if the motor will fit over spindle and not hit the mill motor or mounts. If it does fit I'll have to modify the mounting hardware to get it lined up. The power draw bar, albeit expensive, should alleviate all the fiddling with the moving spindle.

I just got my 833 so I haven't tried it yet but can't you use the spindle brake to hold the spindle while changing tools?

Write PM, ask for assistance. It should be easier than that.

I called actually, they told me to pinch the belt. I asked how, I can’t get to the belt with the covers on. They quickly realized that was true and recommended a strap wrench. The strap wrench works but it takes work to work. You have to keep the strap and the spindle clean for it to grip. I figure someone on here has a thought, or so I am hoping.

That's what I found with mine, too. Even the instruction manual says you have to grab the spindle at the bottom or put it in a low gear which isn't available on the TV, only the T model.

I took the cover off the top that blocked the spline. It exposes the pulley and creates a bit of wind when running at high speed but it was the only way to stop the spindle from moving. After doing that for a while I use a cordless driver with a 21mm socket and I don't need to touch anything. The drill driver gets it plenty tight by the time the spindle starts to revolve. The draw bar is pretty darn long on mine with over 1.5" of thread engagement and it took quite a while with a wrench.

My Priest power draw bar was delivered today. I haven't yet checked, generally, if the motor will fit over spindle and not hit the mill motor or mounts. If it does fit I'll have to modify the mounting hardware to get it lined up. The power draw bar, albeit expensive, should alleviate all the fiddling with the moving spindle.
Thanks for those ideas, I might use the drill idea, a little impact driver would probably work great.

I'm looking at ratchet drivers right now. I already have an air hose to the top of the mill. The question is how much torque should be applied to the drawbar. I see 1/4" and 3/8" mini air ratchets that have a max 16 PSI and most are much higher than that. 16 sounds about where it should be if they do indeed hit that max. Those little air ratchets weigh less than a pound and fit in the palm of your hand. That's smaller than the driver I'm using now.

We have an adapter coming soon that will have flats you can grab with a wrench, it should not be too much longer until they are in. The strap wrench will work for now, but thats not permanent, do not worry about that!

Back