PM-835S owners please contribute!

Tipton1965

Registered
Registered
First off I have had extensive conversations through private messaging with another member here whose opinion I respect very much. His views are based on experience which is always a good thing. The topic is the J-heads found on PM's knee style milling machines and how well they perform. I actually have a PM-833TV ordered which I feel will be a really good machine, however I keep coming back to the PM-835S because the price difference between the two models is very small. Also back when I did my apprenticeship and then worked as a machinist all my experience was on Bridgeport knee mills with step pulleys and back gears. I did some Google searches on the PM-835S but there just isn't that much info out there.

So, I was thinking since the PM-835S has been out now for awhile that maybe some of the members here can chime in on their 835S. Also maybe other members that own the 935's on up can comment specifically about the J-head performance since PM uses the same head on all their knee mill models. Maybe comment on the types of materials you machine with these J-head knee mills from PM and how they perform while machining. Also possibly list any issues you have had with the J-head if any while you have owned your machine. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!

By the way, space is not an issue at all, and I own a front end loader.

Last edited:
I've had a PM-1054TV (vari-speed) since June. I'll limit feedback to the J-head. As any experienced Bridgeport vari-speed user will attest, the "snow-mobile transmission" can be both noisy and maintenance intensive. I have found that to be true - still working through some issues with PM, managed two heads in a row with a noise/vibration issue. As you are considering a step pulley version I can keep my comments more general. Both spindles were of very high quality from what I can tell. The back gear is torquey (really good for boring steel at lower rpms). With mild steel I do get a lot of chatter beyond about .07" depth of cut with a 2.5" carbide insert face mill (APKT inserts). That's a far cry from the depth of cut max per the manufacturer. I would not buy a J-head if I was looking for max rigidity. For the kind of drilling/boring and light roughing work we've mostly been doing I think the J-head performs very well. The quill is smooth and the 5" travel is very useful. The down feed works if a little Rube Goldberg in design.

I bought a PM-935-TS about 2 years ago and I love it. I bought the mill 3 phase motor and the VFD and I have the belt in the center pully and never change it. I can go down to 30 HZ for tapping up to 1/4" threads. For larger threads I go into back gear. When I bought the mill I also considered the 833T. I was also cautioned about the stiffness and the problems of the J head. The unknown for me with the 833T was the noise from the gearbox. My previous mill was a RF30 clone with belt drive and a round column. I was concerned that the gearbox was going to be too loud. I also really wanted a knee mill.
I machine mostly aluminum and some mild steel with my PM-935. I have had no problems with stiffness. I do not take heavy cuts. I am not trying to make money with the mill. If I need to take 3 cuts with this mill where someone with a 833T would need to take 2 cuts because the 833 is stiffer that is not a problem for me. I have made LOTS of parts on my mill over the last 2 years and I have had no problems with it. Last fall I put an EASSON DRO on the mill and that has made the machine even better. If you have the room and the funds for the 935 I would go that way. I do not regret my purchase. I am hoping to keep this mill for many years to come.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still buy my PM-835S

I bought a PM-935-TS about 2 years ago and I love it. I bought the mill 3 phase motor and the VFD and I have the belt in the center pully and never change it. I can go down to 30 HZ for tapping up to 1/4" threads. For larger threads I go into back gear. When I bought the mill I also considered the 833T. I was also cautioned about the stiffness and the problems of the J head. The unknown for me with the 833T was the noise from the gearbox. My previous mill was a RF30 clone with belt drive and a round column. I was concerned that the gearbox was going to be too loud. I also really wanted a knee mill.
I machine mostly aluminum and some mild steel with my PM-935. I have had no problems with stiffness. I do not take heavy cuts. I am not trying to make money with the mill. If I need to take 3 cuts with this mill where someone with a 833T would need to take 2 cuts because the 833 is stiffer that is not a problem for me. I have made LOTS of parts on my mill over the last 2 years and I have had no problems with it. Last fall I put an EASSON DRO on the mill and that has made the machine even better. If you have the room and the funds for the 935 I would go that way. I do not regret my purchase. I am hoping to keep this mill for many years to come.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

Glad you responded as it saved me a lot of typing, same experience as me, no issues and love the PM935TS with VFD and the Easson DRO.

I've had mine for about 4 years.

David

In the PM lineup, I think a step-pulley with a VFD is the right answer.

Back