PM-932M-PDF Power Downfeed Remove-Clean-Replace

This is a very nice thread which covers the feedbox function of PM-932-PDF machine.

<O:pI thank all participants for shining some light on this issue, which undoubtedly, and rightfully made few owners feel uneasy about the choice of purchasing this particular model of milling machine.
<O:p</O:p
I too found the center screw constantly loosening up. I was puzzled by the larger size washer then the smaller size of the recessed opening in the aluminum hub. Maybe there is a reason for it, which I not aware of. As I dislike parts that do not fit I made up new washer and all is well.
As I found out that my new feedbox housing is actually on route in Express Post, I am looking forward to taking the feedbox cover off and attempt to satisfy my curiosity as to why was there a glued piece of cut aluminum ruler in this precision gear system.
Cheers,
Radek

Washer_Hub.jpg

Washer_Hub.jpg

This is a very nice thread which covers the feedbox function of PM-932-PDF machine.

<o:pI thank all participants for shining some light on this issue, which undoubtedly, and rightfully made few owners feel uneasy about the choice of purchasing this particular model of milling machine.
<o:p</o
I too found the center screw constantly loosening up. I was puzzled by the larger size washer then the smaller size of the recessed opening in the aluminum hub. Maybe there is a reason for it, which I not aware of. As I dislike parts that do not fit I made up new washer and all is well.
As I found out that my new feedbox housing is actually on route in Express Post, I am looking forward to taking the feedbox cover off and attempt to satisfy my curiosity as to why was there a glued piece of cut aluminum ruler in this precision gear system.
Cheers,
Radek

View attachment 75004

With all due respect, the original black pressure washer is supposed to fit outside the recess of the hole and not inside that recess. Having it fit inside that recess prevents the fastening assembly from fully pushing down on the large diameter collar. Careful analysis will reveal this. My first snap judgment was as yours but, I've fallen for similar pitfalls before.

</o

Lynrob, how long have you had your 932? Have you had a chance to use it very much? Overall, are you happy with the mill, with its' accuracy and rigidity?

Thanks.

Mike.

Last edited:
Lynthrob, how long have you had your 932? Have you had a chance to use it very much? Overall, are you happy with the mill, with its' accuracy and rigidity?

Thanks.

Mike.

At the risk of upsetting Lynrob for pirating his thread, I kindly encourage folks to comment on their impression of the stability and rigidity of the machine. It's important for folks to get a feel of what they might be getting into. These are (for lack of better words) "Intermediate" strength machines -only based on the fact that they are in the intermediate weight range. Some folks who are coming from 2000lb+ machines are disappointed while others coming from flyweight machines are thoroughly impressed. Kinda like Baby, Momma and Papa bear...

I'll stay out of the discussion as, there are so many pictures here of my mill in-use and the work I've done with it, I'll just encourage you to find those posts...

Other's, please do help Mike get a feel for the machine. Mike, if you lived nearby, I'd give you all the scrap and drops you could lift and a few carbides and let you go to town on my machine -you ain't touching my CNC machine though... :)

Ray

At the risk of upsetting Lynrob for pirating his thread, I kindly encourage folks to comment on their impression of the stability and rigidity of the machine. It's important for folks to get a feel of what they might be getting into. These are (for lack of better words) "Intermediate" strength machines -only based on the fact that they are in the intermediate weight range. Some folks who are coming from 2000lb+ machines are disappointed while others coming from flyweight machines are thoroughly impressed. Kinda like Baby, Momma and Papa bear...

I'll stay out of the discussion as, there are so many pictures here of my mill in-use and the work I've done with it, I'll just encourage you to find those posts...

Other's, please do help Mike get a feel for the machine. Mike, if you lived nearby, I'd give you all the scrap and drops you could lift and a few carbides and let you go to town on my machine -you ain't touching my CNC machine though... :)

Ray

Thanks for the offer Ray. Wish I could take you up on it.

I am sure I am just being overly paranoid about this machine. It is just the right price point and has a nice sized footprint for the motor size and the table size. I also would like this to be the last machine I buy and have it perform to what I am visualizing in my head.

Ray, could you point me in the direction of some of these posts that show the work that you have done with your machine? I have done a few searches but evidently I am not searching correctly.

Mike.

Thanks for the offer Ray. Wish I could take you up on it.

I am sure I am just being overly paranoid about this machine. It is just the right price point and has a nice sized footprint for the motor size and the table size. I also would like this to be the last machine I buy and have it perform to what I am visualizing in my head.

Ray, could you point me in the direction of some of these posts that show the work that you have done with your machine? I have done a few searches but evidently I am not searching correctly.

Mike.

Mike,

Here are a few threads and you'll find both lathe and mill work. Some are "action shots" and some just show the finished pieces but, it gives you an idea of what the mill can do. Note: In some photos, you might see that three fingers of my left hand suffered a bad laceration. It was not due to carelessness of getting my fingers caught in a machine but rather, I mishandled a heavy hunk of metal that had a sharp edge. -Not one of the better moves to be proud of...

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=17915

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=15588

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=20186

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=19687

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=18294

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=18870

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=17697

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=17104

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=12857

Ray

Lynthrob, how long have you had your 932? Have you had a chance to use it very much? Overall, are you happy with the mill, with its' accuracy and rigidity?

Thanks.

Mike.
Hi Mike,
I have had the mill for three or four weeks. Unfortunately, it arrived right at the beginning of lambing season on our farm so I haven't been able to do much more than install it and get it cleaned up and trammed.

As as far as the PDF gearbox issue it took me about 45 minutes total so it wasn't a big deal. While I wish it had been perfectly clean inside, I have to say, I think I could have left it as I found it with no ill effects. Basically all I did was to replace the stiff factory grease with a softer type which freed things up considerably. That said, the same thing might have happened with simple use. I've noticed the X and Y movement has gotten smoother as I've used the mill and it getting a nice feel to it now.

I am a novice when it comes to machine tools so I'm not sure I can say much about the rigidity of the machine since I have no previous experience for comparison. I got my mill with a 2-axis DRO, however, and I have played around with that somewhat. Earlier today I made some brackets that I would have normally made on the drill press. Instead I decided to make them on the mill and to practice making them as accurately as I could. I made sure to place the parts accurately in the vice then just drove to specific coordinates with the DRO to drill my holes. I made 4 parts and when I was done I was able to stack them all and put the shank of the drill bit I had used through all four pieces in every hole. It seemed dead nuts on to me.

I guess in the larger scheme of things that doesn't prove much but I am confident that most of the error introduced into any of my work will likely be due to my lack of experience rather than any shortcomings of this mill.

I looked around for for over a year before buying this mill. At first, I wanted to get a Bridgeport or one of its clones. Unfortunately, I found the many people want top dollar for worn out machines and I don't have the experience to tell the difference between a great buy and a dog. And though I would love to rebuild one some day what I wanted first was a good quality mill I could learn on and grow into at a price I could afford. I figured if I got a worn out mill and couldn't get it to cut straight I'd never know if it was me or the mill. With this mill I am fairly confident that it is capable of fine precision. Now all I need to do is to improve my skills to a commensurate level. It is quite possible that that this mill will be all I will ever need but if not it is a relatively inexpensive way to develop the skills I will need to buy a larger mill on the used market.

I hope that helps and that I have answered some of your questions. The bottom line is that I am very happy with this mill and would make the same purchase over again if I was in that position.

Best Regards,
Lyn

Thanks Lynrob, I appreciate the feedback and your taking the time to respond.

Mike.

With all due respect, the original black pressure washer is supposed to fit outside the recess of the hole and not inside that recess. Having it fit inside that recess prevents the fastening assembly from fully pushing down on the large diameter collar. Careful analysis will reveal this. My first snap judgment was as yours but, I've fallen for similar pitfalls before.

You are correct, should the washer I made bottom out on the shaft it would not be very good. I took a quick measurement and the square part of the shaft is 1/16” below the recessed surface. I guess the tolerances may vary with each machine, however mine is OK. Thanks for the warning.

Hub.jpg

</O[ html QUOTE]<>

Hub.jpg

Back