PM 935TS ordered. Need guidance on VFD components and installation.

You can wire up a VFD in a very simple fashion, power in, power out to the motor, and a 3 way switch FOR STOP REV with 2 wire input control and be off an running. Add a speed pot if you want, or one can just add the VFD panel to the front with a remote cable as many of these have a removable control panel. Doesn't get much simpler than that. The wiring for the other features is just as easy, the exception is the JOG function ONLY if using 3 wire control. Many people get hung up on the programming if needed, and there has been quite a bit posted/provided to those that ask. In addition, the simpler VFD's like the Teco L510/ Automation Direct GS21 will run out of the box, and may require some some minimal programming. They also have very good technical support.

We share our knowledge with others so they can enjoy their machines and have a better experience with them, I have yet to have worked with anybody wanting to install a VFD that couldn't wire it up and get their machine running to their satisfaction. People can make it as simple or complex as they want. So this is just to give people options whether it is a static converter, RPC , VFD, etc.

Yup, one of the best ways is to start it off real simple and build on it once you get it running. If you screw-up and get lost (and the best of us will), do a factory reset and start again.
I've used a lot of Automation Direct VFDs and that's my go to VFD.
I built a plastics extrusion and household chemical factory across the street from me with about 55 Automation Direct VFDs controlling stuff from 1.5HP 230V mixers, fillers and pumps all the way up to 100HP 440V extruders, PLC controlled and everything is on a Modbus SCADA network that can be monitored from the QA lab. In almost every case I start at the base level, get the thing going and build from there up to some really complex stuff.
Glad I tried the Hitachi VFD for my mill though, not the most intuitive user interface, but some really nice features when one digs into it.
Here's a couple of my mixing tank SCADA touch screens, all of that info is continuously gathered / derived from the Automation Direct VFDs in the plant:
Tank Management.jpg

Tank 8 control.jpg

Last edited:
Narrowed down my function wants and I’m trying to keep it simple. Maybe its not as easy to wire in these controls as I think. Want to keep the controls in a single box on the head. Thoughts on this list? Is this doable?

Main power switch
Rev Stop Fwd switch
1 turn speed control
Momentary toggle, on-off-on for forward-reverse (mostly for tapping)
Two stage braking switch (faster braking for use with the momentary forward-reverse)
Reversing switch on back gear selector
Emergency stop (lighted when power on)

As far as VFD’s it looks like one of these three.
Hitachi WJ200-022SF currently in stock
Teco E510-203-H-U currently in stock
Automation Direct GS21-23PO. Backordered
Price point alone has me wanting to wait on the GS21-23PO.

I will also install a tach so will get a power supply as needed. I’m planning on using the machine base access door openings as mounting locations for the VFD and other parts as well as 120v outlets. (not using flood coolant). An electrical enclosure box is not out of the question yet. Is there adequate volume in the base for cooling or will it need a fan? For the controls I want, is one of these VFD’s a better option?

Last edited:
Pretty much what I did. I did not do the 2-stage braking however. "Momentary toggle, on-off-on for forward-reverse (mostly for tapping)" easily added, but decided I did not need it. Adequate space in the column and no need for an additional fan. I used a 10-turn, but a single turn can be substituted no problem. I am using a mist coolant system as well. "Want to keep the controls in box on the head" if you mean the original little box, you'll need some more room up there.
VFD is installed in the side opening (drill, jigsaw and file did the panel cutout) and the power input/output panel is at the rear panel (I CNC plasma cut an entirely new panel from 16g steel sheet with all the cutouts).
Acceleration to full speed is 3-seconds. Deceleration to full stop (braking) 1-second. Programming as it stands today is:

HITACHI VFD WJ200-022SF

Cletus’ Revised On-Machine Setup 2021/09/10

B037 = 01Show All parameters

A082 = 230Motor Nameplate Voltage

B012 = 11Motor Nameplate Amperes

F001 = 60.00 Output Frequency Setting

A003 = 60Base Frequency

A004 = 120Maximum Frequency

A061= 120Frequency Upper Limit

A062= 0.00Frequency Lower Limit

H004 = 4Motor Poles
F002 = 3.00Acceleration Time

F003 = 1.00 Deceleration Time
A001 = 01Frequency Source (ext Pot) Pot on terminals “H”, “O”, and “L”

A002 = 01Run External
C001 = 00Set Fwd to terminal “1”

C002 = 01Set Rev to terminal “2”

C003 = 06Set JOG to terminal “3”

A038 = 4Jog Frequency, 4.0 Hz

B031 = 10High Level Access
B091 = 00
Stop Mode Selection

For braking resistor implementation add the following:

A042 = 5Manual torque boost value (0-20%)
A054 = 60%DC braking force for deceleration (0-100%)
A083 = 1AVR filter time constant (0-10%)
B029 = .5Deceleration rate of active freq. Matching (.1 to 3000.0)
B090 = 10%Dynamic braking usage ratio (0-100%)
B092 = 01Fan control

B095 = 02Dynamic braking control (BRD) selection

B097 = 60Should set automatically to resistor value
B131 = 390Decel. overvolt. Suppress level
B133 = 1 Decel. overvolt. Suppress proportional gain

Attachments

• Control pane 2l.jpg
    Control pane 2l.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Power Panel.jpg
    Power Panel.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 116
  • VFD Installation.jpg
    VFD Installation.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Back Gear Sensor 2.jpg
    Back Gear Sensor 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 119
  • VFD CONTROL.jpg
    VFD CONTROL.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Narrowed down my function wants and I’m trying to keep it simple. Maybe its not as easy to wire in these controls as I think. Want to keep the controls in box on the head. Thoughts on this list? Is this doable?

Main power switch
Rev Stop Fwd switch
1 turn speed control
Momentary toggle, on-off-on for forward-reverse (mostly for tapping)
Two stage braking switch (faster braking for use with the momentary forward-reverse)
Reversing switch on back gear selector
Emergency stop (lighted when power on)

As far as VFD’s it looks like one of these three.
Hitachi WJ200-022SF currently in stock
Teco E510-203-H-U currently in stock
Automation Direct GS21-23PO. Backordered
Price point alone has me wanting to wait on the GS21-23PO.

I will also install a tach so will get a power supply as needed. I’m planning on using the machine base access door openings as mounting locations for the VFD and other parts as well as 120v outlets. (not using flood coolant). An electrical enclosure box is not out of the question yet. Is there adequate volume in the base for cooling or will it need a fan? For the controls I want, is one of these VFD’s a better option?
Mark should definitely chime in here. He da master on all this IMO.

You can certainly get some of the control switches etc. into a box on the side of the head. But the relays that support the the control functions have to go somewhere, and personally, I would want those in some type of electronics enclosure. You can certainly fit the Hitachi VFD into the column, but the support electronics are another matter. Shown below is the inside of my electronics enclosure for the system Mark built that supports the functions you call out. That VFD is the Hitachi. You can see the power resister, power supplies, etc. Also, keep in mind there is cabling involved from the controls to the switch box(es) and you need some way to glad those at this end of things. This all takes real estate.

IMG_2447.jpeg

You can see what I crammed into the switch box on the side of my J-head - this is a Hoffman 150x150x120mm Stainless Steel Screw Cover Enclosure I found on eBay for $150. The inside of the box if full. This has E-stop, tach display, speed control pot, tapping switches, braking selector switch, and a switch for the spindle light.

IMG_1582 (2).jpeg

But notice, the main on, off, forward/reverse, auto-reverse enable are in a pod mounted to the side of the knee. I would not want those controls on the side of the J-head for convenience sake, nor the would I want to up-size the box on the head any further to accommodate those switches. Although you don't plan to use flood coolant, you may discover you want some type of MQL system like a Fogbuster and controls for that as well.

IMG_1467 (2).jpeg

As far as the cabling goes, I recommend you put the cable plugs on the back of the boxes with the switches, not on the main enclosure box. This makes routing, tidying up the wiring, and installation a lot easier than laying on your back looking up at the bottom of the main electronics enclosure. And since there are multiple cables involved (tach sensor, back gear sensor, power, control lines, etc.) I also recommend that each cable have a different connector type so they don't accidentally get swapped. For example, here is the back of the box on my J-head (
Left to right: 3-pin connector for the tach sensor cable, 4-pin for the output to the LED light, 2-pin for the 12VDC coming into the control box):

IMG_3624.jpeg

David

Pretty much what I did. I did not do the 2-stage braking however. "Momentary toggle, on-off-on for forward-reverse (mostly for tapping)" easily added, but decided I did not need it. Adequate space in the column and no need for an additional fan. I used a 10-turn, but a single turn can be substituted no problem. I am using a mist coolant system as well. "Want to keep the controls in box on the head" if you mean the original little box, you'll need some more room up there.
VFD is installed in the side opening (drill, jigsaw and file did the panel cutout) and the power input/output panel is at the rear panel (I CNC plasma cut an entirely new panel from 16g steel sheet with all the cutouts).
Acceleration to full speed is 3-seconds. Deceleration to full stop (braking) 1-second. Programming as it stands today is:
I'll be installing a larger box for controls but trying to keep it as small as possible. I set up my lathe with two stage braking. If I remember correctly, for less stress on the system and possible VFD faults at higher speeds with fast braking. Maybe not as big a concern on the mill will less spinning weight to slow down vs a lathe with a 40lb chuck to stop. That said, its a small toggle switch that wont take much space. Is that a 1 second stop at any speed?

Last edited:
Yes, I'm getting a reliable stop in 1sec from any speed, without throwing an error on the VFD, using a 60 ohm braking resistor. I can go from fwd directly to rev at any speed also. She will just ramp down in 1sec and ramp up in 3sec.
Heres the braking resistor I opted to use.
uxcell a14110700ux0603 Aluminum Shell Braking Resistor Dummy Load for Audio, 60 Ohm, 5%, 500W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WW7DA4...abc_37RJ2VB07K3MQR6JNXMA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The control system design/wiring depends on the VFD used, most of my mill designs are simple and do not use relays. If you want to go with the GS21 they can be ordered, and you can get in the line for the next shipment. The program parameters are schematic specific to the VFD that you use. How the jog will work needs to be checked out with the VFD you choose, but it can be done a number of different ways. I do not recommend a jog joystick on the mill as they are too large and interfere with the other controls. Either use two small buttons on the left side of the front panel or a smaller centering toggle switch. The GS21, WJ200 and E510 have small 24VDC power supplied that can be used for LED indicator lights. Suggested enclosure components list is attached.

Mills in back gear have very high momentum, so 1 second braking w/o and external braking resistor may trigger a buss over-voltage error. Having the option of 1 and 3 second is a simple micro switch and also controlled by the E-Stop/VFD chosen.
Mill Basic Control System 1.jpg

Mill Basic Control System 2.jpg
935 build control cabinet on back.jpg
pm935 VFD build.jpg

Attachments

• VFD enclosure system recommended components for 2-3 Hp VFD 12-22-2019.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 122
I kept mine simple and just did a smallish control box to the left of the head: start, direction, speed, e-stop. I haven't really wanted anything more but I'm pretty far from professional-grade. I like the idea of adding a tach like mksj above ^^, though.

Mill2.png

Just following along, I also have a 3 phase 935TS enroute from Twain.

I went with the Hitachi WJ200-022SF VFD, pretty much the same features as you but I'm planning on using two control boxes. Very similar to what David Best has on his mill.

Tim

Back