PM 940 M & V z axis

mikewilliams

Registered
Registered
Hi All...on the PM 940 machines they have a power z axis with a motor on top of the tower. I have a Modern tool MIll / Drill machine very close to the PM 940, even has the tower drilled for the motor. So I would like to mount a motor on top of the tower to power my z axis...Could someone Please give me the motor plate information from the z motor on the PM mill...OR if someone has done a CNC conversion and wants to sell there motor and switches Please let me know....Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a PM940M CNC VS, one of only a few CNC mills that were sold by PM. It has stepper motors. It came with Mach3 CNC set up code for the Mach3 software.... and this works fine for me. Others have switched over to Acorn CNC software but it is more expensive. Others have done conversions and used the "Arizona CNC kits" to do them. Search on PM940 CNC conversion of something like that. Here is one by @ptrotter . The URL: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-940v.95071/page-7#post-883894

One problem with the conversions is that the steppers suggested do not have sufficient permanent magnet cogging when turned off to keep the head from unwinding and so slowly falling. This parameter is known as the Detent Torque in steppers. They are plenty strong when the power is on. I think this is also true for the Clearpath servos (suggested by Centroid Acorn CNC software) as they have no Detent Torque.

My PM940M CNC:
Z-axis stepper motor: Model:86HS85-14 (1.8degree/4.9A) (Unipolar mode) Detent Torque is 35 Oz-In. While the powered up holding torque is around 850. So it has plenty of power to drive the head up and down when powered. The PM940M head is probably heavier than the belt driven version due to all of the gears and oil. The head and spindle motor appears to be about 250-275#s.
http://www.leadshine.com/uploadfile/down/86hsxxd.pdf or
www.leisai.com LeadShine.com
X or Y axis stepper motors are a little smaller: If you look at the pdf link provided I think you will see a model called 86HS45. I think that is what is on my machine. It is about 1/2 the torque of the Z-axis stepper.

As far as mounting the motor on the top, mine has a motor mount box which bolts onto top of the column. It houses the end of the lead screw and a flexible coupling for the motor shaft. The motor is mounted to the outside of this box. It all needs to be aligned to the lead screw so that the lead screw ball screw coupling does not force the lead screw over either at the bottom nor the top. On my machine there is a crank couple to the lead screw at the bottom. On the Az Kits there is none and so you cannot crank the head up manually. Never the less I think folks are pretty happy with the Az kits.

Good luck.

Thanks ..for answering my post, but I am not looking to do a CNC conversion.
I want the information off the regular Z motor....Like..HP..RPM..Torque..voltage
Thank You Mike

Last edited:
this is on top of the PM932M I received a few months ago. should be the same as the one on the 940M.
PXL_20220307_190022868.jpg

That look's like it....Thank you very much...Just need to get someone to tell me what all the numbers mean..
Then I will look for a Bodine motor. Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I understand you do are not doing a CNC conversion. Choosing a motor to drive the head up and down is not too hard to do. However....

On my PM940M, with the geared head, the head is heavy. (I estimated it to be about 250-300#s). Yours maybe lighter. Consequentially, when I shut the power down the weight of the head tends to fall slowly until it contacts something to prevent it from going farther. Of course this means that the lead screw is turning. Having sufficent friction at the ways or elsewhere tends to prevent this. If one tightens the gib up a lot this is somewhat prevented. However, over tightening the gib results in excessive backlash. I do not like setting the Z-axis locks as I have found that they are too pointed and tend to dig into and then warps the gib.

No matter what kind of motor you put on the z-axis it needs some form of control. So why not let the motor hold the z-axis position? There are several approaches towards this. When the power is on the control system holds the position. A stepper motor with either sufficent cogging force will do this even when the power is off. To spec the motor you need to figure out the max torque caused on the lead screw via this weight if there is no other friction. So you need to know the head weight etc, lead screw diameter, and then calculate the torque . Then choose a stepper which has a cogging torque of this value. When the power is on, the stepper motor is much higher and holds the position. Also, some steppers, and DC motors, and maybe AC motors have a brake that turns on when the power goes off. I am sure there are other motors with this feature.

Anyway, it is just another thing to factor in to a decision.

That look's like it....Thank you very much...Just need to get someone to tell me what all the numbers mean..
Then I will look for a Bodine motor. Mike
So that motor just looks like an induction motor. I am not for sure what you want to know, but searching for the model number 90YYJ-120 and the manufacture DYG may tell you the specs. What is written on the rest of the label just tells you what you need to know to get the motor to run... It takes 220Volts, at 50 or 60 Hz and consumes 120 watts. It tells you the nominal rotational RPM without load and the 6uF means that it has a 6 micro-farad starting capacitor. It tells you nothing about any gears but mentions a it is geared. I assume that means that there are gears attached to the motor to slow the rotation down. But you need to look it up to understand what this gearing is. I assume the circuit diagram shows you how to wire it up and that it will run clockwise or counter clock wise based upon the switch position, but I cannot read the Asian symbols. I am assuming that the box may represent the capacitor being switched in or out of the circuit to reverse direction. If you can make them out you can feed them into google translate and may get a translation of them. Most likely you will not learn much.

Of the 90YYJ-120, I am guessing that the 120 is the wattage (again) that the 90 may have to do with the frame size. Anyway, look around at DYG motors. A little bit.

https://www.dyg-motor.com/ provides info on a lot of these sort of motors.
https://www.dyg-motor.com/?r=search...39954299904&is_parse=0&keywords=DYG+90YYJ-120 shows a motor like this, but with a right angle gear box?

this is on top of the PM932M I received a few months ago. should be the same as the one on the 940M.
View attachment 399393
120watt motor between 1/8th and 1/4 hp
1720 rpm at 60hz (US power grid)
it states gear motor so probably it is a gear reduction motor (no idea what the ratio is) this will be your big issue.
contact this company for the motor specs

yea what B2 said i did not read his post first lol

120watt motor between 1/8th and 1/4 hp
1720 rpm at 60hz (US power grid)
it states gear motor so probably it is a gear reduction motor (no idea what the ratio is) this will be your big issue.
contact this company for the motor specs

yea what B2 said i did not read his post first lol
For the money for the electric version look into doing a stepper version of it with the motor B2 has on his machine and an arduino or other microcontroller + driver you might come up with and have it controlled manually via button rotary encoder etc. it will double as cnc part later if you would like.the money should not be very far from the factory default electric motor and you get micro stepping etc

Tim

On mine I will go the hybrid way and convert to electronic control via buttons etc for hybrid manual work and have cnc on standby when I will be confident enough to not shatter the thing to million pieces

For the money for the electric version look into doing a stepper version of it with the motor B2 has on his machine and an arduino or other microcontroller + driver you
if you need to now what I have on my machine I can provide the info. If I were doing it I would get a little bigger motor than mine. We could even do a calculation as to what the holding torque needs to be prevent falling without having a brake. We would need to know the dia of the lead screw and the load (weight of the head etc). We could then ignore friction for a worst case. I had thought about replacing mine with a little bigger motor, but would also want to get a little bigger drive amplifier. My motors are by LeadShine. www.leadshine.com For the z-axis they used a LeadShine Model: 86HS85-14, 1.8degrees/4.9A, The x-y and 4th axis motors are a bit smaller: LeadShine Model: 86HS45-14, 1.8degrees/4.9A. I Drivers are all the same, but I would have too look to be for sure. I have one photos with me that shows info: www.leisai.com, Model: DMA860H. but I think this is also a LeadShine product. However I think that these particular models are now obsolete and have been replaced by other models.

But there are other sources with other options too. PM even provides a link to a source for CNC conversion. Arizona Video CNC Kits: https://www.arizonacnckits.com/pm-940-cnc-kit.html
They sell a ClearPathe motor, made by Tekinc. For the Z-axis they sell model SDSK-3432S-RLN I think ClearPath are nice motors, more expensive, but have a built in driver and a memory system. I think they are DC servo motors with digital interface and built in encoder which makes them work like a stepper motor. I think they have a built in mechanical brake so they do not need to have cogging to hold position when the power is off. However, there maybe some advantages of a true stepper motor. LeadShine also sells a model that is similar in features to the ClearPath. Tekinc is a US company in Victor NY, just southeast of Rochester NY.

Do you have a geared head or a belt, i.e. PM940M as opposed to the belt driven 940V? . I think my geared head is heavier than the belt driven 940V head.

Back