PM-940m CNC - VS Motion Controller Conversion to Centroid Acorn

Guys,
Are you using the ENA terminals? Do you think that the drives have to be reconfigured for the motors? I wonder if some of the dip switches have to be changed. Did you get a manual for the drives for your mills? I didn't.
Regards,
Doug

I got mine running, and at full blast!!

2uwTlNFpbj_78IzrkdrXdMUL_WgtPdDL6WYpb3Naxn7KQeVbyKHNZMXzWf4a_-lp7vobmfGvSbCQr5qnA=w1259-h1069-no.jpg

Was running a few different tool paths to really test it out, including some adaptive paths. I noticed that the code to run this (all one tool) was almost 14k lines of code! So in CNC12 I went into config - smoothing, and selected precision mill. Dry ran the code and BOOM no more problems!

After that I went back to fusion and looked at the points in the tool path... there was A LOT, and in the adaptive they were very close together which I believe was the cause of my issue. So I changed the smoothing in the adaptives to 0.001" instead of 0.0004" which reduced the code to ~6k lines and added just a bit of space between the points. Then I ran the part and it ran smooth as hot butter!

I am stoked that it ran, and it ran well, but I could only really claim ±0.010" which is pretty terrible. However this is UHMW with a really cheap end mill that has been used on aluminum quite a bit, and I really need to review the CAM to make sure I didn't accidentally leave radial stock or something. I need to run some more stable material with a better tool before I cry too much.

PZ

Last edited:
Very cool Jake, so that's what it looks like when it runs. I like your chip guard. how did you attach it to the table?

I added some brackets using existing threaded holes or tapped new ones into the table. Everything is just temporary... but since the mill is shaping up I'll redo things properly. I tend to do that...just get things up and running then work backwards and redo things properly over time. lol

I got mine running, and at full blast!!

View attachment 255234

Was running a few different tool paths to really test it out, including some adaptive paths. I noticed that the code to run this (all one tool) was almost 14k lines of code! So in CNC12 I went into config - smoothing, and selected precision mill. Dry ran the code and BOOM no more problems!

After that I went back to fusion and looked at the points in the tool path... there was A LOT, and in the adaptive they were very close togetherwhich I believe was the cause of my issue. So I changed the smoothing in the adaptives to 0.001" instead of 0.0004" which reduced the code to ~6k lines and added just a bit of space between the points. Then I ran it and hot it ran smooth as hot butter!

I am stoked that it ran, and it ran well, but I could only really claim ±0.010" which is pretty terrible. However this is UHMW with a really cheap end mill that has been used on aluminum quite a bit, and I really need to review the CAM to make sure I didn't accidentally leave radial stock or something. I need to run some more stable material with a better tool before I cry too much.

PZ

Thats awesome ! I'll read up on the smoothing in cnc12 now. Looks great.

Yeah, often fusion seems to leave stock by default... I think. I need to be more diligent noticing that setting too. Using better bits is always best, but in this "test mode" we are in, its hard to use the good stuff. But the end mills / etc are where the rubber meets the road, so to speak ! :)

Jake

Looking good guys. Glad to hear things are starting to pick up. I'm waiting for Marty to get back to me on the VFD. I'd like to try to get this working like it should, but I might have to go back and put the relays back in play. We'll see.

Hey Doug,

Here is the schematic you'll want to use if you keep the relays. However, to keep it simple and not create unwanted noise you should really just run two new shielded wires from the Acorn directly to the VFD for the ( without going through the terminal block ). AN_OUT on the Acorn to AVI on the VFD. And AN_GND from the Acorn to the ACM on the VFD.

Then for the M1, M2 and DCM on the VFD use the rest of the wiring diagram enclosed ( if you intend to keep using the relays ).
Note, the lower right corner shows the KA1 and KA2 terminals ( 1,5,9, 13 and 14 ). I believe your 029 and 031 are identical to the wiring used in my mill, specific to the VFD anyway..... so this schematic should work for you as well. Note, you may have to rewire your relay, possibly, but hopefully not ! I can't say because I previously changed mine to wire for the Mesa 7i76e / LinuxCnc.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jake
View attachment 254762

Jake,
I'm getting frustrated waiting to hear how to set this up without the relays. I think i'm going to put the relays back in play. One question on the diagram above. You have Gnd on the power supply going to Com on the Acorn. Is that the earth ground or the Com on the power supply?
Thanks,
Doug

Jake,
I'm getting frustrated waiting to hear how to set this up without the relays. I think i'm going to put the relays back in play. One question on the diagram above. You have Gnd on the power supply going to Com on the Acorn. Is that the earth ground or the Com on the power supply?
Thanks,
Doug

I'll go double check now.. expect a response in the next half hour

Jake,
Thanks,
Doug

The acorn COM between Oc4 and Oc5 is connected to the 24v power supplies COM ( between V1 and V2 )

Additionally here are two pictures of my current wiring of the relays and VFD

Hope that helps you get to the promised land. Sorry about steering you towards removing the relays. It seemed to be easier but ended up being the long road !

C732F5AE-94FE-4D99-81FC-55077B6900ED.jpeg

6CCD368D-613E-46C8-8573-9FB95D0E6DFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Jake, no problem. I'd like to get it working without the relays if possible, but I don't know if i'm getting them to understand on the Centroid forum. that this was setup already on another controller. It makes sense, but I think there is a voltage needed to feed the m1 and m2 terminals. I'm not sure though. This is my first time working with a device like this and I want to be sure that I don't smoke it. Some other configurations I've seen online use the relays It's interesting that the coil voltage is used in the circuit on the traditional way. I wish the manuals were written better for these. Seems the only way to understand these is to noodle around with them or have someone give you a rundown on them. I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again,
Doug

Back