PM-940M

idea-thinker

Registered
Registered
Hello;
I am new to the forum and have just ordered a PM-940M mill.

Thanks;
idea-thinker

There will be a bit of a delay for delivery due to the Supply Chain issues.

Thanks;
idea-thinker

I will be searching the forum for advice on getting the PM940-M converted to CNC. I would like to understand what others have done either using standard steppers or Servos for control and what type of controller people are using to control the motion.

Thanks;
ideathinker

I will be searching the forum for advice on getting the PM940-M converted to CNC. I would like to understand what others have done either using standard steppers or Servos for control and what type of controller people are using to control the motion.

Thanks;
ideathinker
Pop in to the CNC sub-forum :)

If you are planning on a CNC conversion, you might be better off with the PM-932V or PM-940V which use a belt drive, come with a VFD and a TEBC motor/spindle which are rated for much higher speeds. The PM-940V does come with a hardened way version. A few people have posted conversions with these models. They are a bit rough on the castings if you strip them down, but that is typical for this price range mill.

Hi,

I have the PM940M-VS-CNC version from the factory with steppers. It is was only available for a short while and PM quit selling any CNC version. If you want the larger size of the 940 I suggest you get the 940V rather than the 940M. The 940M has the geared head and as such is heavier than the belt driven 940V. Neither of them run particularly fast. Max RPM on my machine is 3200. Its Ok if you want to do heavy milling, but a bit slow for fine work. If I had it to do over I would probably get something else as I have had a number of problems with my machine. Search through the @ptrotter strings. While typing I see that @mksj also just gave you a link to ptrotter. He did the conversion on a 940V after completely stripping it down. https://www.arizonacnckits.com/sells a conversion kit for the 940 and others and folks seem to be happy with their work.

Dave L.

Hi Idea-Thinker,
I did a cnc conversion on a PM940M that had the flame hardened ways. I did not use a kit. I completely tore the whole machine down and started fresh with the castings. I am using a centroid acorn for the control. I gutted the head and installed a 3hp motor with vfd drive and belt drive to the spindle. I also rebuilt the spindle top and bottom with higher speed rated bearings. At this time, I'm presently running 5000 rpm to the spindle. I am using the Tormach TTS tooling system with the pneumatic tool change system. I do not remember where I bought the ballscrews from but I'm sure they are available. I have been running the TTS system for over two years now and have not had any problems. I also used DMM servos. I really enjoyed doing this from the ground up. Good luck with your project.

John

Last edited:
Hi @idea-thinker,

I don't own a PM940M or V, but I have a lot of CNC conversion experience, specifically with Mach 4 (my current setup), Mach 3, and Centroid Acorn. I also have a ton of experience with AC servos (both hobby and professionally) and have used Allen Bradley, DMM Tech, and Clearpath servos.

Happy to help answer any CNC, servo, or general controls and automation questions you might have.

-Mike

EDIT: My CNC is a G0704 running AC servos and Tormach Tooling System (TTS).

Back