PM 940V Electrical questions

SlowJoe93

Registered
Registered
I have a 940V that I have been converting to CNC. Im on the final part which is the spindle and VFD. I have been going over the electronics in which
Im no electronics major trying to figure out how they are converting a 110V to 220 into the VFD? I have most of the factory electronics however they don't
have the wiring any more. I do remember the 110 enters the side switch and goes up to the top QM/Delixi DZ108-20. I'm trying to avoid running a 220volt
from the house into the garage to accomplish this. If anybody has any idea or help I'm all ears. Thank you.

The model I see on their website today shows 220V feed, not 120V. The spec. they state is 220V @ 10 Amps required. That would be about 20 Amps @120V required if fed somehow by 120V stepped up somehow at the machine. A quick search shows that the "Delixi" is a 20A motor protection circuit breaker. What is the breaker size feeding your garage?

There are motor drives that can take 120VAC and they internally boost the voltage to 240VAC. Maybe that is what you have? What is the make/model of the motor drive?

The PM-940V uses a 2Hp TEBC motor, the VFD is a Delta VFD015E21A which is 220-240VAC single phase input it is not 120VAC. The largest commonly available single phase 120VAC input VFD is 1.5Hp (WEG CFW300A06P0S1NB20 VFD 120V Single Phase Input 1.5HP 6.0amp 1.1kW). They use a voltage doubling circuit on the input.
1705425520908.png

Thanks for your time. For some reason (its been a while) I thought it was wired 110 a few years ago. The VFD is infact a 220Input but puts out 220Volt 3 phase. My only option is to find a 110v VFD that outputs 220V 3 phase? 2 horsepower to be correct? My apologies for the large photos.

VFDWiring4.jpg
VFDWiring 2.jpg
VFDWiring3.jpg
VFDWiring 1.jpg

The minor pain of running a 220 volt line will be more than worth it. Ripping out the 220 volt VFD and putting in a step-up type vfd
is not recommended for the best performance, especially for a cnc system
I wouldn't do it

You would need a minimum of a 30-40A 120V circuit and continuous usage which might be encountered with CNC, the wiring is only rated at 80% of the breaker/socket rating. There are step-up transformers 120 to 240VAC that could be used if your supply circuit is rated as such. Otherwise pulling more amperage then the circuit is rated for could result in damage to the wiring and possibly fire. There is also a high inrush current when first connecting transformers to power which can trip the breaker. As I mentioned, there are no 120V VFD's that are commonly marketed over 1.5Hp. Your main motor also appears to have a base speed of 50Hz based on the 1390 RPM, which is a bit unusual. The other motor is the electric motor fan which is not connected to the VFD. If running this mill on 230VAC, I would think a minimum would be 30A and probably 40A with setup for CNC.

I'm trying to avoid running a 220volt
from the house into the garage to accomplish this. If anybody has any idea or help I'm all ears. Thank you.

Usually you would run a new wiring, but.... What kind of wire do you currently have and how far from the house breaker box is the garage? That is what is currently going to the garage. What is the breaker for this service at the house end? Usually garages do no have much going on in the garage so builders do not supply much power.... but all cases are not the same. Usually not, but maybe, just maybe, you can convert the service to 220?

On the other hand if you run new wires, might as well put in enough that you can charge that new Tesla your wife wants to get!!!!

Running a new 220 volt service is a lot easier/cheaper/more efficient than trying to get there with a transformer
You're paddling against the current - pun intended

Back