PM Knee Mill Disassembly

DaveBelchamber

Registered
Registered
I recently ordered a PM-835S knee mill and am considering moving it into my basement workshop when it arrives. Since the overall size and weight preclude doing so as a single unit, I'm looking for advice on how best to disassemble it into smaller, more manageably sub-assemblies. To this end, I believe that removing the four bolts connecting the head to the knuckle will allow removal of the head unit and removal of another four bolts will separate the knuckle/ram/turret from the column. However, I need to know what is involved in removing the carriage from the knee and the knee from the column. I understand from Tech Support at PM that one or more of you have done this to PM-935s which are very similar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of door is this going through, interior or exterior?

If you have a Bilco exterior door, and you have access for a flatbed tow truck, you can take the head and table off, then build a sled for the remainder laying the casting flat on the back side and securing it to keep it from rotating. Use a couple eye bolts in the holes for the head so the winch can pull it up on the bed and then lower down the stairs. A wrecker can do this too, doesn’t need to be a flat bed. Then take the table and head down with a dolly in as big a piece as you can handle. You don’t need to remove the knee if you do it this way. I did this with my Burke Millrite which looks similar in size to your machine and it went very smoothly.

Back